How much spanish sounds like brazilian portuguese?

JGreco   Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:18 pm GMT
"I disagree with you Penetra. Why is it that you mostly hear the 'll' being identical to how the 'ch' is pronounced in Portuguese mostly in the Rioplatense region which coincidentally was under Portuguese control for a time? Generally speaking, everywhwere else Spanish speakers prononce the 'll' how it is normally pronounced. The Brazilians DID NOT inherit your 'll' sound, the Rioplatense region inherited the Portuguese 'ch' sound. Let's get it straight."

That is not exactly true. The ll has other sounds in Latin American Spanish. In Caribbean Spanish and specifically the dialects spoken in Panama and the Coastal regions of Colombia, ll sounds like the "s" in the English word leisure. It also can have a hard English "j" sound in other dialects. Curiously, the Caribbean dialect in Panama has a sh sound represented by "ch" so words like "chevere" sound like "shevere" in Panama. Other characteristics shared by Br.Portuguese and Caribbean Spanish are similar nasalization patters, and the alternate glutteral pronunciation of the letter "r" rather than the trill. So many characteristics in Spanish are not shared by standard pronunciation. REAL Academy has some very good sound filings demonstrating the variation of sound distribution in the Spanish speaking world.
Jay   Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:11 pm GMT
Sorry, Brazilians but novelas (and the like) are brainwashing wastes of time. It shouldn’t be surprising to anyone that soap operas could lead to damaging results, especially when they are created by one or two networks with huge political and societal influence. Major media exists to bring you to a predetermined conclusion about what you should and shouldn’t be doing and thinking. Turn off your TV, you’ll thank me later.
Franco   Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:16 pm GMT
Soap operas are trash , but addictive trash I might say.
Penetra   Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:03 am GMT
Said Carlos:

<< But at least Penetra understood what was meant with 'llamar' and 'chamar'. She rightly said ...>>

HE rightly said. I, the original (in more than one sense of the word) am a guy. That last "Penetra" claiming BrPt is "heavily influenced by Spanish" isn't me, since I'd never utter such nonsense.

Said Mallorquí:

<< It looks like Argentinian LL has some to do with Napolitan. >>

I don't know much about the origins of this Rioplatense pronunciation, but I highly doubt that. This pronunciation is heard all the way North to Paraguay, and, for all I know, has been the standard Bs.As and Montevideo pronunciation for more than a century and a half, way before the influx of Italian (what would be special about Neapolitan, anyways) immigrants.
Ren   Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:13 am GMT
Italian influence on Argentinian Spanish is not only limited to pronunciation of LL, it is present in intonation and vocabulary too ("laborar" for trabajar for example). This is a fact, but the so called influence of Portuguese on Argentinian Spanish is not backed by any evidence. Hispanic countries are rather impermeable to the influence of other cultures, not to mention one deemed as inferior by them like the Lusitanic.
Penetra   Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:42 am GMT
To the fake me, who posted the previous post using my monicker: would you be so kind to learn to write proper English when trying to impersonate me? It's an embarassment, really.
Gabriella   Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:19 am GMT
Ren, you said, <<Italian influence on Argentinian Spanish is not only limited to pronunciation of LL, it is present in intonation and vocabulary too ("laborar" for trabajar for example). This is a fact, but the so called influence of Portuguese on Argentinian Spanish is not backed by any evidence. Hispanic countries are rather impermeable to the influence of other cultures...>>

Ren, you put your own foot in your mouth here. According to your own words as above, you assert that 'Hispanic countries are rather impermeable to the influence of other cultures'. Yet, you just said that Argentina was influenced by the Italian culture. This mistake you just made proves what you just said to be FALSE. It renders you not credible. You goofed up in a rather silly way here for all to see. Now no one will take you seriously.

And what is inferior here is you, not Lusitania. Shame on you for saying such a stupid and ignorant thing. You have hatred inside of you and it will eat you up.
Ren   Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:40 am GMT
Shut up, Gabriella, you Brazilian whore.
Ren   Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:38 am GMT
Will you idiots stop using my name lol... Whoever uses my name saying how hispanics are superior or anything positive about spanish language is not me...lol

I hate the spanish language. Sounds horrible, ugly and poor. I do not hate hispanics, but I do hate franco and his racist ass to the point I hope one day he gets gang raped by all the "negroes" he so much hates. lol
Khimik   Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:36 am GMT
Ren siempre se equivoca, no hay que fingir sorprenderse. Recuerden: en Brasil fracasa todo. Vamos, repítanlo: en Brasil fracasa todo. En Brasil fracasa todo. En Brasil fracasa todo, ... hasta el infinito.
Ren   Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:33 pm GMT
False. Building favelas and cheating Western tourists never fail in Brazil.
Franco   Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:42 pm GMT
You're outta line Ren...and you too Khimik!
Urca85   Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:12 am GMT
O´ rganos sexuales femeninos / female sexual
organs

cl´ıtoris m clitoris
coño m R1∗ cunt
genitales mpl genitals
´organo m organ
sexual sexual
vagina f vagina

O´ rganos sexuales masculinos / male sexual organs

cojones mpl R1∗ balls
huevos mpl R1∗ balls
pene m penis
pito m R1 dick
verga f R1∗ M cock
Evge   Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:02 pm GMT
I was starting to study spanish(my 3rd language).but before this,someone told me about portuguese. reading it is the same for me, but hearing it is completely different(i watched some brazilian,portuguese and angolan news on youtube).
portuguese sounds so different from spanish.spanish is more like italian.
Someone may even doubt that they belong to the same latin branch(specially that european one),hearing them.
Oswaldo - desde Medellin   Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:55 pm GMT
Esta es una discusión muy interesante.

En mi país, Colombia, los partidos de fútbol brasileño en portugués nunca se traducen, ni siquiera las emisiónes brasileñas en la radio o películas. Entendemos casi todo. Incluso el portugués de Portugal es muy comprensible para mí. Mi familia y mis amigos también dicen lo mismo.
No entiendo por qué algunas personas les resulta difícil aceptar esto. Yo personalmente entiendo portugués mucho mejor que el italiano o el francés.