Spanish in Europe

La Hostia   Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:46 am GMT
Spanish is spoken in Spain, Basque country, Portugal, Andorra, France, Switzerland and the islands of Italy.
?   Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:38 am GMT
Islands of Italy? which islands?
are you referring to the fading community in Alghero that used to speak Catalan?
--Sp--   Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:02 am GMT
Spanish is not spoken in Portugal, Andorra, France, Switzerland and the islands of Italy.
Mercosulindo   Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:21 am GMT
--Sp--   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:35 pm GMT
Spanish is spoken in just one region in Europe, Castilia.

The rest speak Catalan, Galician, Basque, Asturian, Aragonese, Leonese, and the recently declared independent language, Andalusian.
Português   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:42 pm GMT
In portugal we speak spanish.
Hey guys visit my country, if u speak spanish i can understand it perfectly.
Portugal belongs to the Hispanic world.
many people here in portugal can speak portspanish, o mix of portuguese and spanish.
Baldewin   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:43 pm GMT
Indeed. It's only a matter of time the former Hispano-Americansd will start to realize they don't speak Spanish but Mexican, Caribbean, Chilene, Argentine, Peruan and Columbian.
Peruan is also being replaced by Quechua and with luck we might promote Nahuatl to such a height it'll replace Mexican for a huge part. For now, I notice our promotion campaign for Andalusian is indeed booking a lot of success in their homeland.
Lussophone   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:44 pm GMT
Here n portugal we speak French.

Hey guys visit my country, if u speak french i can understand it perfectly.
Portugal belongs to the Francophone world world. Most people here in Portugal can speak Parisian or Midi French.
Baldewin   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:46 pm GMT
Now seriously, this won't happen. I know one Mexican, one Peruan and one Spaniard living here who have no problems at all speaking to each other. Especially Peruan sounds different, Mexican and Castillian are pretty clear to understand I think.
Baldewin   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:48 pm GMT
Also, the Mexican spoken in the US is more archaic than the one spoken in actual Mexico, I'm inclined to think.
Português   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:51 pm GMT
one day portugal will speak spanish, because the globalization and exchange between the countries.we use many spanish words daily.
we have the same culture,we live together in Iberian Peninsula.
and spanish is the most important language of the world besides chinese.
is all about language and survival,not about diplomacy or taste, if portugal wana be something, everybody must learn spanish.
hornyspaniard   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:58 pm GMT
spain -46,661,950 speakers
portugal -10,707,924
italy- 60,231,214

or else i can speak with 46,66+10,71+60,23= 117,6 million people.
+ south of france,(toulouse,armagnac,languedoc) that should be annexed by spain.

im not sure about italy, in this i can hear only the gist.
Thor   Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:03 pm GMT
"Spanish is spoken in...France"

What are you talking about ? Catalans ? They will kill you if they hear this. Or do you mean spanish immigrants ?
La Hostia   Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:05 am GMT
@Baldewin

Not really. The Mexicans I know and converse with here in California don't really use archaic Spanish words. Instead, they just incorporate English words.

Archaic words used in rural Mexican villages.
Asina = asi
Mesmo/a = mismo/a
Truje = traje
Fierro = hierro
etc.
La Hostia   Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:10 am GMT
Switzerland is a heterogeneous country. Italian, German, French and Romansh are official languages. However, Spanish is widely understood and somewhat spoken. Andorra lies between Spain and France, therefore Spanish is spoken as is French. In Portugal, Spanish is widely understood and somewhat spoken. The rest of the aforementioned are insignificant numbers of speakers but I thought they were worth mentioning.