Should I take Spanish or French?!

Dryad   Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:56 am GMT
Most people(that i know) that study spanish speak like a native after 1 month.
Pete from Peru   Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:29 pm GMT
ROFL

MuahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaMuahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahaMuahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaMuahahahahahahaha!!!

Sorry Sorry, mate... OK

LOL

hahaha, OK...

The method they use must be the fastest I've heard of...
Jordan   Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:51 am GMT
I'm actually very interested in learning languages. That and the enjoyment of learning are my "motivation" for learning languages. It seems to me that many people on this forum find language learning to be very difficult, when in reality I find it very easy.

As for the "demotivator", I don't believe anyone on the antimoon forum takes anything he/she says seriously.

Right now I'm contemplating how many years of each foreign language I want to do. Right now I'm considering...

A) Spanish IV & French IV

B) Spanish IV & French II

I think Spanish is more important than French to learn right now. Honestly, not regarding total amount of speakers, the only French countries I'd like to visit are France and Canada. On the other hand, Spanish countries I'd like to visit include Spain and various countries in Latin America. In this case, Spanish would be more important. Also, since I do live in the United States, there are many more Spanish speakers than French speakers.
kn   Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:23 am GMT
Spanish is more important than French if you're planning to stay in the US. And remember that if you study French, you will never, EVER, sound like a native speaker, even though that's precisely what the French expect of you. Their accent can't possibly be learned past the language learning age.
However, Spanish is a breeze to pronounce. It's also a bit easier grammatically because it doesn't have the adverbial pronouns "y" and "en", which are unknown concepts to native speakers of English. It does require you to learn more tenses though.
Pete from Peru   Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:45 pm GMT
<<I'm actually very interested in learning languages. That and the enjoyment of learning are my "motivation" for learning languages. It seems to me that many people on this forum find language learning to be very difficult, when in reality I find it very easy.>>

Great then. Go and learn both. It'll be a great experience and you know; the more languages you learn well, the easier it becomes to learn more.

There's a sort of instinct or intuition or understanding (whatever you like to call it) that starts to grow as you learn more languages which help you understand languages as a system and not as separate difficult and irregular rules to learn. Then it'll be much easier to learn any language you like.

Good luck.
Jordan   Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:54 pm GMT
I'm also probably going to be learning Italian after graduating high school, so Spanish would probably a better prerequisite for that.

After thinking about it more, I think I'm going to just take 2 years of French, and go to Spanish IV. That way I'll graduate with two years of French, and four years of Spanish!

The only reason I'm doing both is because I'm considering having a career in foreign language, maybe a teacher or interpreter.