French from France vs Quebec French (Canadian French)

Antimonio   Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:08 am GMT
Quebec remains Francophonic just like Gibraltar keeps having monkeys walking its soil.
3R   Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:27 am GMT
"Gibraltar keeps having monkeys walking its soil"

You mean, Hispanics?....
TheTruth   Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:59 am GMT
French (14th) and Tamil (19th) have more similar data. The comparison should be between these two languages, moron.

The size of French is similar to Chinese and Indian regional languages such as Wu, Telugu, Tamil or Marathi.

Enjoy the webpage:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers

I also particulary like quebec french, a pity that will disappear.
ryanhernandez   Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:16 am GMT
Dissagree with comparing Brazilian portagues and portagues from close together. Brazilian portaguese is more spanish influent. I'm hispanic living in Vancouver, BC, Canada and I understand Brazilian portagues then Then European portagues and i don't speak a work portagues
Guest-   Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:01 am GMT
Dont be idiot.
English and italian have more loanwords from spanish than portuguese.
Portuguese has almost no words from spanish.The similarity with spanish came from latin.

And the phonology of brazilian portuguese is very close to angolan portuguese.I think that many hispanic countries are influenting angola in africa also, no?
And not only brazil but angola also speaks a language that is very far from looking spanish.

Besides this,do u think that spanish dont inflluences portugal at all?
joolsey   Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:35 pm GMT
Folks,

Can I have your opinion (especially from francophones) on this interview in French with Jack Kerouac from the 1950s.

Kerouac grew up in Maine, the descendant of original Arcadian settlers there, and his parents spoke French in the home.

How 'Quebecquoise' is his French?
I notice that he slightly thrills his 'R-' (alveolar) as opposed to the more recent Metropole French gutteral 'r'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r2aOSoRsoE
Gervaise   Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:01 pm GMT
Hi,

Both clearly have a Canadian accent (don't know if it's Quebecois or what), the interviewer's one is fainter and easier to understand than the interviewee's but you know that he has Canadian origins the moment he starts speaking.
Team Wasp   Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:14 pm GMT
Pardon my French, but why don't you sad, lazy, good for nothing, French Quebecistanis fck off and join your Hispanic cousins in Suda America.

KEEP NORTH AMERICA WHITE!
Franco   Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:16 pm GMT
With 50 millions of Hispanics in USA and other 50 millions of blacks , North America is far from being white.
Franco   Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:53 pm GMT
Well, some Hispanics like Vicky Carr, Charo , Charlie Sheen etc are white, but not many of them.
PARISIEN   Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:37 am GMT
<< Kerouac grew up in Maine, the descendant of original Arcadian settlers there, and his parents spoke French in the home.

I notice that he slightly thrills his 'R-' (alveolar) as opposed to the more recent Metropole French gutteral 'r'. >>

-- His French is more Acadian than Québecois.
Indeed, it sounds like a testimony of pre-WW-II Canadian French with the old-fashioned "oi"-sound (pronounced like "wè") and the slightly rolled 'r'.

Quite strangely, one of the most striking features of Canadian French accent is (nearly) lacking in both Kérouac's and interviewer's speech: the tendency to insert an 's' between dental consonants and weak vowels like "i"i ou "é". Could that be a rather recent development?

Compare with that footage from Denys Arcand's film "Les Invasions Barbares". The characters, being professors and intellectuals, speak a normal colloquial French with a rather clean pronounciation. But when it comes to syllable "ti", they distinctively pronounce it "t(s)i", for instance for the words "séparat(s)iste" or "crét(s)inisme":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWQqUCWS0Tc
Correction   Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:18 am GMT
<< Folks,

Can I have your opinion (especially from francophones) on this interview in French with Jack Kerouac from the 1950s.

Kerouac grew up in Maine, the descendant of original Arcadian settlers there, and his parents spoke French in the home.

I notice that he slightly thrills his 'R-' (alveolar) as opposed to the more recent Metropole French gutteral 'r'. >>

Correction, but Jack Kerouac was born and grew up in Lowell, Massachesstes. He spoke French exclusively until he reached the age of 6 and after that he spoke in halting English until he became 18 years of age.

There's another Kerouac's video in French in which he used just one English word.
Correction   Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:41 am GMT
<< Folks,

Correction, but Jack Kerouac was born and grew up in Lowell, Massachesstes. He spoke French exclusively until he reached the age of 6 and after that he spoke in halting English until he became 18 years of age.

He's Quebecois not an Acadian.

There's another Kerouac's video in French in which he used just one English word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt_lI7w3t-Y&feature=related
Phil   Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:48 pm GMT
The interviewers French is more educated TV French and Kerouacs French is more "country-ish" maybe a little "old-school" but both are very Quebec French, also the same type of accent that you hear from some Franco-Ontarians. Im quite certain its not an Acadian accent though, the Acadian accent is quite distinct.
White North America   Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:11 pm GMT
The ovens won't be empty for long.
You dirty little Imperialist Francophone fascists.

KEEP CANADA WHITE!
DEPORT THE FRENCH MONKEYS!
(preferably into ovens)