Countries that are qualified to join La Francophonie

+Fr+   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:52 pm GMT
These are the following entities that are qualified to be member of La Francophonie.

All of them have at least >10% French speakers.

Sovereign Countries:
============
Portugal
Italy
Sweden
Denmark
Ireland
Brazil
Mexico
Colombia
Chile
Argentina
Dominican Republic
Puerto Rico
Nigeria
South Africa
Taiwan

Regions/Non-Sovereign:
===============
Pondicherry, India
Galicia, Spain
Catalonia, Spain
==   Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:55 pm GMT
You forgot Vermont, Maine, Massachussets, New Hampshire, New York, and of course Louisiana.
-Sp-   Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:07 pm GMT
Add Florida. There are sizable Francophones living there.

Thanks to Quebecois and Haitians.

Haitians in Florida are remarkable because they speak French as their first language and speak no Hatian Creole.
opinion   Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:17 pm GMT
France can be qualified to join La Hispanidad,because France has at least >10% Spanish speakers.
Baldewin   Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:20 pm GMT
Good point. France and Portugal must join the Hispanidad just like whole of Belgium is part of La Francophonie and not just Wallonia. Perhaps make Wallonia also join the Hispanidad as this has historical reasons and I think that if Walloons learn a foreign language it's mostly English or Spanish anyway.
cnablis   Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:33 pm GMT
Don't forget the lower Delaware River basin in NJ, PA, and of course Delaware. (At least the name comes from French.)

Also, note that some areas in southwestern CT get water from the NYC system, some of which comes from the Delaware basin.
GuestUser   Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:41 pm GMT
Since when was Ireland 10% French speaking? As for Taiwan, most of their more linguistic types barely even speak English, so I can't see Frech proficiency being particularly high.
John   Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:48 pm GMT
The only reason why South African can join la Francophonie is because it get's overrun with immigrants from the rest of Africa (Congo etc)....

Mind you one fifth of all Afrikaans(Dutch) speakers are descendent of French Hugenotes that left France in the 16th century because they were religiously prosecuted. Today almost all of them have been absorbed into the Afrikaans culture.

There is even a monument in South Africa for the French settlers in a town called Franschoek (Dutch word which means French corner)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jceB7beuZro
Franco   Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:04 pm GMT
What a pity. Spain is not qualified.
Thor   Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:11 pm GMT
"What a pity. Spain is not qualified."

Borneo no either. Very sad...
Franco   Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:55 pm GMT
<<Borneo no either. Very sad... >>

But Nigeria is. Everybody knows that you enjoy having many blacks in France.
Penetra   Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:43 am GMT
This is so much bullshit. I cannot speak for certain about Portugal, but the number of English speakers in Brazil is way smaller than those 10%. If evidence of people around me is any guidance, French speakers are about 1% (if at all) of the 10% that makes up the Brazilian middle class, so 0,01% of total population. Francophonie my derriƩre.
..   Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:19 pm GMT
I don't think that list is correct. I don't believe 10% or more Argentinians, South Africans, Taiwanese, Swedish people speak French.

There might be more but I'm pretty sure Swedish people rather learn German as a foreign language than French because Swedish is closer to German.
Franco   Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:21 pm GMT
La Francophonie is a neo-colonist organisation.
LAFrance   Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:47 pm GMT
La France will dominate YOU!! Better learn OUR Language now because we will ALWAYS be better than YOU!!