Past tense of "must".

FV   Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:12 am GMT
Can one use "must" in the past tense, or must you say "had to"?
H   Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:40 pm GMT
Only "had to". But if you mean the tense shift, it may stay unchanged.
Another learner   Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 pm GMT
"Had to" or "was/were to". The difference is "had to" is used when one was forced to do something, maybe even against his/her wish (I had to go to work though I wanted to idle in my sofa). "Was/were to" is used when something was planned or scheduled (The train was to arrive at 5 PM).
bb   Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:05 pm GMT
You can say "must have" - He must have been ill to have missed so much time from work.
Porridge   Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:32 am GMT
What's the past tense of "needs must"?
Pedro   Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:15 am GMT
"must have" , as bb pointed out.
sunny day   Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:42 am GMT
<You can say "must have" - He must have been ill to have missed so much time from work. >
No-no-no.
"He must have been ill " means "I'm nearly sure he was ill".
But of course the OP didn't specify the meaning. It's advisable to give some context.
standby   Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:19 pm GMT
past tense of 'must' is 'musft'
standby   Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:21 pm GMT
The past tense of 'must' is 'mustft

She mustft of caught it off that French immigrant...
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:05 pm GMT
Is there such a thing as a French immigrant? Knowing La Belle France as I do I cannot for the life of me think why any self respecting French man or woman would want to leave it.

Come to think of it now there does seem to be a sizeable number of French people living in London, and I know of a few French nationals now residing here in Edinburgh.....right, forget what I've just said.....but even so I fail to fully understand why all those French people now living here choose to do so. They can't be all Huguenot descendants surely! And it can't possibly because of our climate! Could it be that they actually like us, the Brits? Surely that would be a preposterous idea, quite an insane suggestion......maybe its just us, the Scots, they really find an affinity with...history shows this to be perfectly feasible.....we both share a love/hate relationship with our close neighbours the Sassenachs/les anglais.

Maybe they're all here to perfect their English Language skills.....but that can't be the case either...many Continentals speak better English than many of us do, and just look at what happens each year during the Eurovision Song Contest when all the various reporters from all the voting centres in all the participating countries across Europe (and even further afield beyond this Continent of ours) announce their results......practically every single country uses English when announcing their respective voting results......apart from the France - and Monaco, and sometimes Belgium too - any French speaking country or region. So no, it can't be the language thing which attracts those French people to these shores.

Perhaps they just like our cute coppers, or big red shiny double decker buses or perhaps even our takeaway curries and battered cod with chips and mushy peas.........mmmmm......nah, I don't think so......no chance...I cannae think what on earth it can possibly be.....