Castilian Spanish vs Hispanic American Spanish

Franco   Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:46 pm GMT
Chilean is a dialect of Spanish. Scots and English are different languages. The same goes for Norweigan and swedish.
needmedicationpronto   Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:25 pm GMT
This thread is bizarre. I'm an intermediate learner of Spanish, and the main differences between Castilian Spanish and various Latin American Spanishes are in pronunciation and colloquialisms. I find the claims about native speakers not being able to understand speakers from other countries absurd. So in some countries they elide the last d in the past participle? Not a big deal, just a question of pronunciation. It shouldn't take very long for native speakers to get used to such differences considering it doesn't even take me that long. The more slang people use the less comprehensible it is going to be, but then again, older people don't understand the slang spoken by youths even in their own country. Of course there will be problems understanding uneducated speakers whose speech consists of local colloquialisms, but even the uneducated speakers have to be pretty slow on the uptake if they can't modify their speech at all to be more intelligible to Spanish speakers from other areas/countries.
Godwin   Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:30 pm GMT
needmedicationpronto,

Did you miss page 2?

<<but even the uneducated speakers have to be pretty slow on the uptake if they can't modify their speech at all to be more intelligible to Spanish speakers from other areas/countries. >>

Don't overestimate the Hispanic mind.
Penetra   Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:46 pm GMT
Spanish speakers are fortunate to speak such a cohesed language. Argentinian Spanish is easily understood by Castilian Spanish speakers and vice-versa. There same can not be said for example about Portuguese because Brazilian soap operas have to be subtitled in European Portuguese so people can understand them. No audiovisual content made in Americas has been subtitled in Spain ever.
Gallega   Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:52 pm GMT
There same can not be said for example about Portuguese because Brazilian soap operas have to be subtitled in European Portuguese so people can understand them.

-
this is not completely true:

1. in Portugal people understand Brazilian Portuguese and Brazilian soap operas are shown with no subtitles, even Mexican and Colombian soap operas are shown in Portugal in their versions dubbed in Brazilian Pt, but
1a) many Portuguese hate having to read Brazilian Portuguese so many Brazilian books are translated into Continental Pt (Paolo Coelho for example)

2. in Brazil, Portuguese movies are subtitled into Braz Pt, and soap operas (Olá Pai, Morangos con Azucar) have been dubbed into Brazilian
Ner   Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:36 am GMT
Argentinian, Venezuelan, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Chilean, Dominican Republican, and Uruguayan soap operas are being dubbed in Spain, Mexico, and other hispanic countries in proper Spanish because Spanish speakers from other countries have trouble understanding them not just because of slang, colloquialism, and pronunciation but also of clipped syllables like the Venezuelan "pa" for "para".
Blanco   Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:44 am GMT
Este Ner o es tonto o es un troll, porque todos los hispanos nos entendemos perfectamente
Ner   Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:00 am GMT
This Blanco or is stupid is a spam, because Hispanics have a hard time understanding each others speech.
Penetra   Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:20 pm GMT
I'm Brazilian but I understand Spanish better than European Portuguese Soap operas from Portugal are always subtitled.
Ren   Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:31 pm GMT
And I am Brazilian and have not much issue understanding European Portuguese. It depends on the person
Pete from Peru   Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:02 pm GMT
<<This Blanco or is stupid is a spam, because Hispanics have a hard time understanding each others speech.>>

We don't.

By the way this discussion forum is useless now

Everybody who is serious about language learning should go to Ask Antimoon, and forget about this horrendous trolling forum.

Regards
Ren   Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:08 pm GMT
I'm not Brazilian . I'm Portuguese and that is the reason why I understand Portuguese.
Penetre   Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:33 am GMT
<< I'm Brazilian but I understand Spanish better than European Portuguese Soap operas from Portugal are always subtitled. >>

You're Hispanic but you understand Latin American Spanish better than Castilian. Soap operas from Spain and other Hispanic nations are always subtitled in local Spanish of the country where they're shown.
Jason   Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:13 pm GMT
Don't forget about Portuguese. Portugal vs Brazil. My Godfather is from Portugal and brought our Brazilian friend to tears by his claims that Brazilians don't speak Portuguese.
Há dias assim   Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:38 pm GMT
Yes, most Portuguese people say Brazilians speak ''brezilair'' because they want to make Brazilian variety look inferior to their ''purt'gesh''