Is French a poor language indeed?

Questioner   Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:54 am GMT
Spanish has 220,000 words...

French has 100,000 words

WoW, the gap is huge I must say...
Penetra   Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:13 am GMT
And Portuguese has 21,450,679 words. Most of them freshly made up by me, just like your statistics. So, who's a bolder liar?
Ren   Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:47 am GMT
Where did you get those figures!? lol
Xie   Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:54 am GMT
well, according to the OP Chinese has only 50,000 words, 100,000 isnt too shabby.
BB   Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:27 pm GMT
Another troll! Please people stop being childish. Stop this French vs Spanish attacking. No one is more important than the other.
Answerer   Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:38 pm GMT
The French make a more wise and cultured use of their supposed poorer language than the Spaniards do; so having a richer vocabulary is useless. And, after all, nobody believes such a silly thing
lucilda   Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:55 pm GMT
<< Stop this French vs Spanish attacking. No one is more important than the other.

>>

I'm sick of these PC statements.
chauvinist   Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:01 pm GMT
French only accept words of a list given by L'Academie française. The only evolution of the French language takes place in Paris.
.   Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:06 pm GMT
"Please people stop being childish. Stop this French vs Spanish attacking. No one is more important than the other. "

Spoken by a true Frenchman or -woman
.   Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:08 pm GMT
"French only accept words of a list given by L'Academie française. The only evolution of the French language takes place in Paris. "

and the etymon must be a latin one, or at least a made-up to look like latin-one. this is why franch is so poor, they are afraid of all other language
Invité d'honneur   Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:31 pm GMT
Ce n'est pas au nombre de synonymes que se mesure la richesse d'une langue. Demandons-nous donc plutôt s'il est difficile d'exprimer une pensée complexe en français. Dés lors, bornons-nous à répondre que ce serait là un comble pour la langue qui fut le véhicule de la pensée des Lumières !
Invité d'honneur   Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:54 pm GMT
« and the etymon must be a latin one, or at least a made-up to look like latin-one. »

A few examples of coined words that are not derived from latin but from French itself: pis-aller, portemanteau, coupe-papier, lave-vaisselle, courriel, pourriel. French possibly is not as productive in words as it used to, but being a living language, it keeps on evolving along with the society it stems from, just as it should.

Besides, IMHO it's actually cool that coined words of the formal register have to be derived from Latin or Greek roots. This way you get to translate the expression « couper les cheveux en quatre » into « trichotétratomie » (Greek roots) or « capilloquadrisection » (Latin roots) for humorous effect :-p
Baldewin   Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:10 pm GMT
My favourite French word is also of Greek origine: <<métèque>>
Gloggle   Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:42 pm GMT
<<Spanish has 220,000 words...

French has 100,000 words

WoW, the gap is huge I must say...>>

Actually, this is not good for Spanish as many here seem to be implying. The reason is that all the extra words are dialectal words only used in some countries and not understood anywhere else. For example, Rioplatense has 20,000 unique words. So this is evidence that French is more unified than Spanish.
Franco   Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:53 pm GMT
<<The reason is that all the extra words are dialectal words >>

Sources?

<<Rioplatense has 20,000 unique words.>>

Sources?