What is the most religious language?

schlechtes vorbild   Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:26 am GMT
what do you think? i think Spanish, Italian, Arabic, and French are the big contenders
Speaker   Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:32 am GMT
Ghybrieu ant Eirabyc. Opfiuhslae. Thaur rileedgioun pirmiayts evarourysinc.
happy easter   Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:40 am GMT
Yeah, you would expect the Southern European Mediterranean Catholic countries to be the most. And it is true that they are somewhat more than northern European countries. French is relatively low though, even more than Germany.
According to this, Malta and Turkey are the most religious, if you count them as being part of Europe. Romania also scores pretty high after them, despite being under communism for more than four decades, followed by Greece, Poland, and Portugal. The least religious are the Czech Republic and Estonia. But there isn't data on former Yugoslavian countries or Russia and Ukraine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Europe_belief_in_god.svg

But as far as pure languages go, it would obviously be Latin, since it is the language of the Church, and I guess Greek would qualify in the Orthodox world. Spanish, due to its many Catholic nations in South America, and is Italian pretty high too.

Outside of Europe, yes Arabic and Farsi perhaps. You could even make a case for American biblical fundamentalists and English, so it's hard to really determine.
Yuwan   Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:03 am GMT
Tibetan. I tried to learn Tibetan in the past but I gave up.
Tibetan scripts were made from sanskrit for the conveniency of Buddhist study.
Rigel   Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:05 am GMT
>>Ghybrieu ant Eirabyc. Opfiuhslae. Thaur rileedgioun pirmiayts evarourysinc.

LOL. This kind of britonized English looks cool.
Franco   Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:28 am GMT
English, because it is the language of the Bible Belt.
schlechtes vorbild   Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:25 pm GMT
you guys are looking at it in terms of how religious the people are. look at the language itself and how it's used. how many religious idioms/phrases are there. how often are they used (by the religious and nonreligious alike)? these are some of the things that i thought about.
bob   Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:25 pm GMT
Canadian French slang is extremely religion oriented.
Arnie   Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:58 pm GMT
Obviously, it's Arabic. You can't buy an Arabic text without Allah this, Allah that. Even in scientific texts you have sneaky religious phrases like "...once the voltage reaches 6,3 kV, inshallah, the laser will begin repumping..."
bob   Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:14 pm GMT
<<Even in scientific texts you have sneaky religious phrases like "...once the voltage reaches 6,3 kV, inshallah, the laser will begin repumping...>>

Really?? Where did you get that info? That is most interesting.
schlechtes vorbild   Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:26 pm GMT
@ arnie: that's why i included Arabic in my original list. it seems that even secular/moderate Arabic-speakers are always "inshallah" this and "inshallah" that and otherwise peppering their speech with tons of religiously inspired words and phrases. English speakers will constantly "jesus" and "god damn" or "holy _____!" but doesn't really come close
Franco   Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:32 pm GMT
Spanish is probably the most anti-religious language. There are a lot of expresions like: "me cago en Dios", "me cago en la Virgen", etc.