Regaining German Accent

Dominik   Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:00 am GMT
I'm a native german speaker and moved to the US at a tender age. I've now completely lost my german accent,but im proud of my nationality and want it expressed. Can anyone help me get my accect back? I've tryed not using english for a while. I held out 3 months without a word of english and I only got back a trace of a accent. Thanks.
doytch   Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:30 am GMT
This is highly unusual... You can get accent tapes. I recommend "Acting with an Accent". That's how I learned to do a Dutch accent, a Swedish accent and an Indian accent. You can start by watching people speak fake German, like Eva Gabor on Green Acres--"Ja das ist ein lumpen in die haystacken."

There's a sign that they put on fuse boxes and such, in English-speaking countries: "Achtung. Das Machine ist nicht fuer der finger-poken. Iss easy schnapper der shpringen, bloven das fusen und poppen der korken mit shpitzern shparken. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen das hands in das pockets, relaxen und vatch die blickenlights.:
...   Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:39 am GMT
Why don't you learn a more, well, charming accent. German is somewhat off-putting, I'd consider it a blessing.
Dominik   Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:29 am GMT
well ...,
I like my nationality. I will not use a different accent. I like keeping my German background alive. And I think that my old accent was cool. Thank You very much
ADvisor   Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:50 am GMT
<<Can anyone help me get my accect back? I've tryed not using english for a while. I held out 3 months without a word of english and I only got back a trace of a accent. Thanks. >.

Try stabbing yourself in the neck and screaming until your vocal chords are shredded. Then you'll sound more German.
Dominik   Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:54 am GMT
thats just mean