Which varieties of English are closer?

Thaddeus   Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:55 am GMT
American and Canadian English
or
Australian and New Zealand English
danny in russia   Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:01 am GMT
I'd say AmE and CanE are closer but it's only a guess.
K   Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:38 pm GMT
Aussie and Kiwi English. Their regional differences in pronunciation and vocabulary are small in comparison to those of American English.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:11 pm GMT
I think I am just about able to tell the difference between a general Canadian accent and the general American - the "ou" sound is the big giveaway with the Canadian accent.

As for the Oz and the Kiwi accents - they are pretty much indistinguishable as far as I'm concerned - sorry, guys.
danny in russia   Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:18 pm GMT
So do Australians pronounce better like bitter, best like bist etc? I've never noticed that on them and it seems to be characteristic of NZE.
ma:ti   Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:45 pm GMT
from general varietys, i would say canadian/american are closer.

course, i side with damian that for me, aussi vs kiwi are generally similar sounding to me, though i know theyre not P:
pigshit   Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:50 am GMT
As far as I'm concerned American and Canadian are indistinguishable and the difference between Aussie and Kiwi is obvious.

NZ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mq9HAE62Y

Aussie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRGlaZD1KEU
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:23 pm GMT
Casting asie the issue of accent here....is this some kind of indictment on the mentality or the level of tolerance ingrained within our Aussie friends?

This is the gist of an article published in one of the national UK newspapers today Mon 26/04/10:

A blind man was denied entry to an Australian restaurant all because a waiter misheard a request to bring in a guide dog....this had nothing to do with any policy the restaurant owner may have enforced concerning pets being admitted...more to do with the fact that this very strange waiter had thought that the dog was not a guide dog but a gay dog and therefore the animal was not to be allowed on the premises solely on that basis alone!

Maybe the blind man seeking a table there was British, in which case it would be very possible for an Aussie to mistake a British "guide" for an Australian "gay", especially in a noisy, busy environment, but even if the poor guide dog was indeed a rampant canine poofter, to use the Oz vernacular, it's hardly a reason to deny access to it and its blind human companion! The very worst the "gay" dog could have done was to attempt to ravish a table leg, or even the waiter's leg while the stupid individual was noting down the man's order, or perhaps cock a leg against it and piss, but from what I know of guide dogs neither eventuality is likely.

The whole story puts Australian waiters in a very bad light indeed - I've come across some pretty dumb cum ignorant raw behind the lugholes Ocker Oz barpersons here in the UK in recent years but his takes the biscuit.

Anyway, the blind man did win out in the end - he received Oz$1,500 (that's £905 in proper money) in compensation at a South Australia Equal Opportunities Tribunal hearing. The guide dog, called Nudge, now sports a rainbow badge on its collar and hopes to take "Pride" of place in a Melbourne parade....along with his doggie mate Shove.....just a wee bit of poetic licence there....