Why can't Quebec Cityans speak English?

NYC   Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:37 am GMT
How come people from Quebec City cannot speak English?

I tried to call various McDonald's locations in Quebec City, and none of them spoke English. Their french sounds different from that in France too.
Knowledge   Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:45 am GMT
I assume it's mostly to do with Quebec being shit.
fraz   Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:02 am GMT
Maybe they can speak some English but just don't want to.

Why didn't you try some French?
+++   Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:18 am GMT
With over 95% native French speakers Québec is one of the most unilingual places in the world, probably the only one genuinely unilingual in North America.

Most American tourists love it like it is.
A trip to Québec is like travelling continental Europe without having to cross the Atlantic.
opinion   Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:51 am GMT
<<
With over 95% native French speakers Québec is one of the most unilingual places in the world, probably the only one genuinely unilingual in North America. >>
Probaly most of them are low educated?
Jeremy D.C.   Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:16 pm GMT
To Opinion:

I think education has little to do with the fact les Quebecois like to be unilingual. After all, their motto is "Je me souviens" = "I remember." They remember the oppression of the British upon their society and they also remember their French heritage. I guess Quebec being unlingual is more of creating cultural pride rather than being uneducated.
Knowledge   Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:19 pm GMT
True, being uneducated is just an unfortunate side-ffect.
rep   Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:39 pm GMT
<<They remember the oppression of the British upon their society and they also remember their French heritage.>>
What about Alsatians and Franconians in Alsace-Lorraine,France? About their German heritage?
femme   Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:41 pm GMT
You can't compare French heritage and German heritage. Germanics are low class and Alsatians are aware of this. That is the reason why they embraced the superior French culture on their own.
rep   Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:20 pm GMT
<<
femme Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:41 pm GMT
You can't compare French heritage and German heritage. Germanics are low class and Alsatians are aware of this. That is the reason why they embraced the superior French culture on their own.>>
Is it imperialism, nationalism or chauvinism?
Amish in Quebec   Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:41 pm GMT
Quebecioures are dirty Francophone spik oliveballs.
putana   Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:01 am GMT
Para pedir una hamburguesa no hace falta que vayas a Quebec, para eso te quedas en US of A y te atenderán perfectamente en inglés. Ahí podrás pedir una hamburguesa con doble de carne de rata al McRata y te entenderán sin problemas.