Do most linguists actually know a lot of languages?

Guest of Honor   Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:50 pm GMT
Or do they just simply study the relationships between them, but don't actually learn to speak them anywhere near a native level? Just curious, as many people I've met assume that they're master polyglots, but I don't know if that's necessarily the case.
fifine   Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:19 am GMT
A good one should know about 10.
fifine   Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:21 am GMT
Although one can pass with 5-6, and a familiarity with as many.
Skippy   Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:11 pm GMT
Depends on the type of linguist... Depending on their particular subfield, some may end up teaching themselves (or studying) 10 languages, or they have learned 2-3 in the course of their studies, or they might well only know their native language.
Uh-huh   Sat May 01, 2010 10:15 pm GMT
They probably know the names of some languages...
Baldewin   Sat May 01, 2010 10:17 pm GMT
... and to which family you can classify them. And which dialects there are for each language group. True linguists are the ones who study languages of tribal peoples by intense contact or who decipher ancient texts.
Guest of Honor   Sat May 01, 2010 10:42 pm GMT
Baldewin, you always spoil it with the shit that comes out of your mouth..!! piss off please..!!
Baldewin   Sat May 01, 2010 11:04 pm GMT
You just didn't get your Bachelor degee in Linguistics, isn't it?
lingvistiks   Sun May 02, 2010 12:04 am GMT
I'm interested in linguistics. But I can only speak one other language besides English well enough to really have a conversation in it. Someone introduced me as the "guy that can speak 5 languages fluently, and lots of other people have said similar things--and refuse to believe that I'm not a hyperpolyglot. It's probably because I love talking about languages, and can read in several languages with what sounds like a perfect (native-sounding) accent to English speakers.

And many people that can speak a huge number of languages often speak very closely related languages: such as someone that spoke, say Spanish, Catalan, Portuguese; Norwegian, Swedish, Danish; Serbian and Croatian--8 languages total!