Difficulty of Romanian language.

man   Sat May 01, 2010 4:10 pm GMT
Is Romanian language much more difficult than French language? Thanks in advance and have a nice evening!
tuu   Sat May 01, 2010 5:45 pm GMT
Grammatically, Romanian is much more difficult because it has retained 3 cases from Latin.
In terms of pronunciation, French phonology is obviously more complex.
Baldewin   Sat May 01, 2010 6:11 pm GMT
Romanian has been Slavified. Just look at the numerals: they're not Latin at all in structure!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanian_numbers#Numbers_from_1_to_10

They're Slavic!
tuu   Sat May 01, 2010 6:57 pm GMT
Piss off Baldewin, you know nothing..!!
muu   Sat May 01, 2010 7:24 pm GMT
That is true about the numeral system above 10, unus supra decem or unsprezece is influenced by the Slavic construction, but so what? Okay, some aspects of the language were influenced by Slavic, big deal. I don't get why that's such a recurring issue all the time here. It's still Romance overall, and these things just add to the uniqueness. It doesn't make it that much harder to learn, once you get used to these concepts. The grammar can be a little confusing at first, but it's not comparatively too bad.
man   Sat May 01, 2010 7:35 pm GMT
OK, thanks! I'll learn Romanian before French. I am sure I'll have a lot of fun with Romanian language.
muu   Sat May 01, 2010 7:50 pm GMT
Well, if it's just out of pure interest or curiosity you can do what you want. But I should point out that French has a lot more widespread use in the world, and can also help more for other Romance languages like Spanish or Italian. Good luck.