Palatalisation in Russian and Irish

Gertsog   Sat May 08, 2010 10:54 pm GMT
What are the similarities and differences between the extensive palatalisation in Russian and Irish?
CRy   Sun May 09, 2010 12:01 pm GMT
I don't know really but I can tell about similar palatlization in Polish where "i" softens the preceding consonant, so words like Nil sound the same in Gaelige and Polish..
joolsey   Mon May 10, 2010 12:32 am GMT
Right, I've often thought that Gaeilic should have adopted a Slavicised Latin ortography instead of the phonetic chaos we were taught in school. At leleast it would render it more readable: a Polish person getting on a bus in Dublin and reading a bilingual sign, whilst perhaps not able to understand it, would at least be able to utter it correctly. So how do they expect Irish schoolchildren to master it!
CRy   Mon May 10, 2010 9:23 am GMT
I want to learn Gaelige, but when I saw some samples of written texts, I thought to myself - wow , English spelling is not the worst in Europe! But honestly, I've noticed some similarities between Latin and Irish - especially teh names of some chemical elements like metals....and Comas ta tu? sounds surprisingly similar to Spanish Como estas? As for your post there are few similarities between Slavic languages and Gaelige, distinction between soft and hard consonants, trilled R's, ch pronounced like 'h'....
joolsey   Mon May 10, 2010 1:18 pm GMT
Cry,

In Gaelic (of Ireland, in any case, not sure about Scotland) we don't have thrilled alveolar r's. We have ulvular ones kinda like French when it is more of a guttural aspiration, but not even ulvularly thrilled, somewhat like Peninsular Spanish 'jota'. In other positions, 'r' tends to be a rhotic approximant like in English.

We also have crazy tripthongs; very difficult to describe. Not so sure the same thing exists in Slavic languages.

But we certainly have tonnes of palatilization, as in Slavic!
CRy   Mon May 10, 2010 1:46 pm GMT
We have diphthongs but quite different from English ones, because they start in the same voewl but the offset is different. We have:

/ai/ in English it is /a/ like in the word 'eye'

/au/ in English /aʊ or æʊ/ like in 'cow'

/ow/ in English /oʊ/ like in 'no'

/ei/ in English /eɪ/ like 'game' -> Is that true that in Irish English only in Dublin it is a diphthong?

/oi/ in English /oɪ/ like 'toy'
I need to take a chance and ask you - what vowel do you use in words like back, pack, trap, and, match? Is it the same sound as Spanish 'a"?
What about words like dune , tuesday, duke etc... do they sound dyoon, tyooseday, dyooke or june, chooseday, juke?