Segmentation in "Eyjafjallajökull"?

Gertsog   Sun May 09, 2010 12:28 am GMT
The name on everybody's lips these days, Eyjafjallajökull, is pronounced [ˈeiːjafjatlajœːkʏtl̥].

Icelandic shares this phonetic feature with Faroese and Western Norwegian dialects, including my own native one: A long sound, like the double consonant /ll/, is segmented into two sounds: /tl/ or /dl/. Old Norse fjall, mountain, thus becomes /fjatl/. Same with with /nn/ - it becomes /tn/ or /dn/.

(While still going strong on Iceland and the Faroe Islands, it is rapidly disappearing from Western Norwegian dialects, though. Soon we will be back to the original Old Norse system, which we started to mess with 1000 years ago.)

In Norwegian this process is called "segmentering", "segmentasjon", i.e. segmentation. Is that a valid term in international linguistic circles too?
.   Sun May 09, 2010 1:27 am GMT
Who cares?
Dr Who   Sun May 09, 2010 3:09 pm GMT
Is the 'Eyjafjall' bit of 'Eyjafjallajökull' congnate to the name of German highlands called 'Eifel' (+jocken)

Dose Eyjafjallajokull' translate into English: 'Eighfallyockhull' 'Eighfellyockhill' 'Eighfallyock' 'Eyefellyock' ?
Gertsog   Sun May 09, 2010 3:31 pm GMT
Literal translation: Isles' Mountain's Icicle or Islands' Fells' Icicle.

I.e. Glacier of the Islands Mountains
Mallorquí   Sun May 09, 2010 6:40 pm GMT
Bogodan Reykjavích   Sun May 09, 2010 9:57 pm GMT
Rijekavik was settle by Croatian slavs not Irish slavs and their Viking masters.