Which language has the most mystique about it?

Matematik   Mon May 10, 2010 10:02 pm GMT
I have noticed people seem to view Russian and German as being the most mysterious languages, Russian because no one really understands how Russia works today, and the fact the country has under-gone drastic changes in the way its run which still effects the country to this day.

German for similar reasons to Russia, but mainly because the German language is still heavily linked to Hitler and the Nazi era, many people feel learning German allows for greater insight into Hitler's mind.
Yepman   Mon May 10, 2010 10:12 pm GMT
Celtic and Elvish languages have often been spun as mystical.
Russia   Mon May 10, 2010 10:22 pm GMT
Russian is great for those who like to indulge in the darker sides of human nature and history. Russia has gone through pretty much everything in a single century (revolution, communism, cuthroat capitalism, Great Wars, Civil War, lots of small wars, guerilla wars, monarchy, dictatorship, democracy, neo-authoritarianism, colonialism, imperialism, decline, apogee, nuclear superpower status, disintegration, space exploration, poverty, industrialisation, deindustrialisation, political collapse, financial collapse, social collapse, partial resurgence, famine, purges, concentration camps, innumerable catastrophes, earthquakes, nuclear apocalypse, unprecedented terrorism, Mafia, criminality, unprecedented corruption, usurpation of power, degradation, orthodoxy, atheism, exodus, demographic catastrophe etc), from extremity to extremity overnight. This history is a total mind-fuck for the people, which makes Russians bizarre and interesting people.
fifinette   Mon May 10, 2010 10:26 pm GMT
French,
Jesus-is-Finnish   Mon May 10, 2010 10:33 pm GMT
Yes everyone knows Russian is the most mongolistic language.
Franco   Mon May 10, 2010 11:15 pm GMT
Latin, Greek, Etruscan, Sanskrit, Hebrew.
pemphigus phil   Tue May 11, 2010 1:44 am GMT
Chinese, especially as written.
Analyn   Tue May 11, 2010 4:51 am GMT
There's something about Sanskrit that turns me on.
/*-   Tue May 11, 2010 5:15 am GMT
Celtic, Elvish and Basque
encore   Tue May 11, 2010 9:50 am GMT
<<but mainly because the German language is still heavily linked to Hitler and the Nazi era, many people feel learning German allows for greater insight into Hitler's mind. >>
Perhaps those people are stupid,low educated or they suffer from phobia?
-Mjdt-   Tue May 11, 2010 11:01 am GMT
>>
<<but mainly because the German language is still heavily linked to Hitler and the Nazi era, many people feel learning German allows for greater insight into Hitler's mind. >>
Perhaps those people are stupid,low educated or they suffer from phobia?>>

I know someone who learned German, admired German culture, and was also heavily interested in Nazi era history and Hitler's motivations. It doesn't have to be an either/or thing.
I'm Russian   Tue May 11, 2010 1:28 pm GMT
>>This history is a total mind-fuck for the people, which makes Russians bizarre and interesting people.

Wanna take an interview? And I speak Russian fluently, ho-ho.
Actually there s no any mystery in Russian and in Russia in general. Everything is too exaggerated in your post.

My vote goes to Ethruscan, Sanskrit, and Ancient Egyptian.
Matematik   Tue May 11, 2010 1:53 pm GMT
<<Perhaps those people are stupid,low educated or they suffer from phobia? >>

The German language was an integral part of the Nazi era as that, if you hadn't noticed, is what the people of that era spoke.

You can have a deep interest in this era without being a Nazi. I think it is you that if proving yourself to be a stupid, low-educated, judgemental left-winger.
Ducktoy   Wed May 12, 2010 4:49 pm GMT
Cantonese
Baldewin   Wed May 12, 2010 6:22 pm GMT
Hard to say. I'd say Arbërështe, which is 17th century (or I forgot which century) Albanian, spoken in Italy.