Why does English have no regulatory body?

Franco   Wed May 12, 2010 2:44 am GMT
<< Does Spanish have this range of accents?

>>

Yes, but they are not unintelligible enough to need subtitles like certain English varieties. Latin American soap operas are never subtitles in Spain.
--   Wed May 12, 2010 3:32 pm GMT
"-- Tue May 11, 2010 11:35 pm GMT" has stolen my designation.
Mallorquí   Wed May 12, 2010 3:51 pm GMT
Uk   Wed May 12, 2010 5:49 pm GMT
Franco, why do you laugh like this..? A trip to the dentist would be good as well..!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99qznVi4S9g&feature=related
Franco   Wed May 12, 2010 6:21 pm GMT
LOL, I laughted a lot. Spaniards are the most funny people in the world. I so proud of being Spanish.
boz   Thu May 13, 2010 8:07 am GMT
« (i.e., do we have the right to speak with non-standard grammar in the US, or can the government force us to speak in a certain style?) »

None of the aforementioned "regulatory bodies" forces anyone to speak in a certain style. They aren't really regulating anything and have very little authority. People adopt whatever style they want to adopt, disirregardless of what the various Academies think.
Jorjor   Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:52 am GMT
english has a heck of a lot of different dialects. People often refer to "American accents" as a whole. but theres at least 5 distinct kinds. People from Arizona, California,Washington speak a certain way, theres Alaskans, New Yorkers, Boston(most annoying of them all lol), Texan, Tennessse/North/South Carolina. This vid covers a bunch of them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UgpfSp2t6k

To me the absolute hardest English dialect to understand is what is spoken in Carribean countries. I have such a hard time catching everything it's quite embarrasing. Odd thing is they can understand every word of what I'm saying. Jamaican patois is the worst offender, It's supposedly a English creole language and I can only catch about 15% of it lol. It kind of gave me insight into the difference between French and Creole spoken in Haiti, since people tend to think they are the same.
Matematik   Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:25 am GMT
Jamaican patois isn't English in the same sense Hatian creole isn't French.
pedro   Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:37 am GMT
Spaniards are the most funny people in the world. I so proud of being Spanish.

Really?? They look quite depressed lately. Spain is the most affected country by the economic and financial crisis....
Franco   Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:04 pm GMT
Really ? Then Spain would have gone into bankrupcy like Iceland, Ireland and Greece.
Erlend   Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:51 pm GMT
Language-Nazism is for weak, insecure, tinpot, backward, inferior, countries like France and Spain.

Long live English and Norsk!
Adam   Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:02 pm GMT
English doesn't have a regulatory such as French because the English people are confident enough to let their language evolve and let any words freely enter the language. This is unlike the stuffy French, who often limit the number of foreign, especially English words, added to their language.

Here are some words which have entered the Oxford English Dictionary in recent years:

Gaydar: n. A homosexual person's ability to identify another person as homosexual by interpreting subtle signals conveyed by their appearance, interests, etc.

Grrrl: n. A homosexual person's ability to identify another person as homosexual by interpreting subtle signals conveyed by their appearance, interests, etc.

Cyberslacking: v. Spending one's employer's Internet and email facilities for personal activities during working hours.
Adam   Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:03 pm GMT
Grrrl should be:

n. A young woman regarded as independent and strong or aggressive, especially in her attitude to men or in her sexuality.