Useful languages

James   Thu May 20, 2010 12:21 pm GMT
I would like to know if you have some examples of languages you studied and they were really useful in your life.

Thanks.
ME   Thu May 20, 2010 12:26 pm GMT
Mandarin and English.
fraz   Thu May 20, 2010 12:31 pm GMT
Well any language is useful if you live in or regularly visit the country where it is spoken.
Tex-mex   Thu May 20, 2010 1:13 pm GMT
In my State, English and Spanish
Brazilian   Thu May 20, 2010 2:34 pm GMT
English, English and English
Brazilian   Thu May 20, 2010 3:00 pm GMT
Spanish. English is not studied in Brazil.
Eddy   Fri May 21, 2010 2:29 am GMT
Australian English
etudiant   Fri May 21, 2010 9:30 pm GMT
i have found that my spanish is used all of the time. I have also met quite a few people to speak french with. you would be surprised how many people you make a connection with once you speak their language.
Kris   Fri May 21, 2010 10:12 pm GMT
I'm American. I have found French very useful (but it may be the kind of life I lead). Spanish was usefu too, but a low level was enough to meet my needs.
Yep.   Fri May 21, 2010 10:45 pm GMT
Most languages I've learned I've found useful. Of course, I study modern languages. I doesn't matter if I only speak a little of a language.
I use what I know in order to learn more.
Franco   Fri May 21, 2010 10:49 pm GMT
I found German to be very useful. German Ebay is after US Ebay the site that has best offers. I use German with the sellers and they answer very gently, almost totally different than if I wrote in English to them.
Fifi   Sat May 22, 2010 12:52 am GMT
I speak eight languages and I'm studying two more now.
I learn the language for two months, move to the country for six or a year and then return and study reading, writing, literature.
I'm certified to work in court, I translate research documents and I do voiceovers. Most fun use I got is that no one gets away with babbling about me on the train or when I travel. Take that Tanto!
Crapshit   Sun May 23, 2010 9:32 am GMT
From my point of view most British dialects are useless, as English is a global language thick dialects with their crazy pronanciations doesn't make sense if used in business world. Only accents close to GA or modernized RP are suitable for mass communication and trade...
Languages Lover   Tue May 25, 2010 11:27 am GMT
Well, we can say which languages are NOT useful:

-Hindi: it is not useful because English is official in India. Hindi is overshadowed by English. Besides, English is used in business and diplomatic relations.

-Portuguese: it is not useful because it is overshadowed by Spanish in Latin America. In Europe is not studied because Portugal is a small country of 10 million people.

-German and Japanese are REGIONAL LANGUAGES spoken in Central Europe and Japan respectively. They will be less spoken because Germany and Japan have less population every year.

- French: this language is spoken in France, French Africa and Quebec. Thanks to Quebec and French Africa is not considered a regional language, but this language is only importan in Europe where the lingua franca is English and Africa where the lingua franca are Arabic and English.

We can see this table with the 2 most spoken languages:

North America: English and Spanish
Latin America: Spanish and Portuguese
Europe and former USSR: English and Russian
Africa and Middle East: Arabic and English
Asia-Pacific: Chinese and Hindi.

So, only English, Spanish, Chinese, Russian and Arabic are really USEFUL.
iMac   Tue May 25, 2010 11:52 am GMT
Russian has been becoming increasingly unpopular among those countries of former Soviet Union (Eastern Europe). Russian would also turn into a REGIONAL language which is only spoken in Russia itself.