a (metric) unit

Benjamin   Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:59 pm GMT
Except that it doesn't consistently use multiples of twelve. Unless I am mistaken, I understand there to be 14lbs in a stone. And since I didn't know this one already, I've just looked on the internet and found that there are three inches in a foot, three feet in a yard and then 1760 yards in a mile, which is neither divisible by 12 nor 3. Nothing fits.
Adam   Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:01 pm GMT
"Long live the Anglo/Scottish spats.....good fun and no hard feelings. When the chips are down we stick together.....except at Murrayfield and Twickenham. "

My prediction for the Six Nations Championship which commences this weekend:

1) England
2) France
3) Wales
4) Ireland
5) Scotland
6) Italy

Or even:

1) England
2) Wales
3) France
4) Ireland
5) Italy
6) Scotland

The second final group finishing would occur if Wales have almost as good a Six Nations as they did last year (they won it) and if Italy just manage to scrape a win against Scotland in the match of the tournaments two whipping boys.
Adam   Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:05 pm GMT
I've just looked on the internet and found that there are three inches in a foot,

There are 12 inches in a foot, and 12 is a much better number to divide equally than ten, 100, or 1000 which is was Metric loves using.

Even 1000 (1000 metres in a kilometre) can only be divided by 1, 100, and 500, whereas Imperial 12 can be divided by 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6.

Stick to using Imperial.
Adam   Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:06 pm GMT
"Even 1000 (1000 metres in a kilometre) can only be divided by 1, 100, and 500, "

That should be 1, 100, 200, 500.
greg   Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:13 pm GMT
Mon pronostic, Adam :

1 — France
2 — Galles
3 — Irlande
4 — Angleterre
5 — Italie
6 — Écosse
Adam   Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:46 pm GMT
Actually, 1000 can be divided bymore numbers than 12, but that just shows how cumbersome Metric is.

2 goes in 1000 500 times! I'll just stick with Imperial, where 12 inches is a foot, rather than Metric, where A THOUSAND metres is a kilometre.
Adam   Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:47 pm GMT
1 — France
2 — Galles
3 — Irlande
4 — Angleterre
5 — Italie
6 — Écosse
----------------------------
No. England will beat France, especially if we're playing at Twickenham.
Benjamin   Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:49 pm GMT
>> There are 12 inches in a foot, and 12 is a much better number to divide equally than ten, 100, or 1000 which is was Metric loves using. <<

So where does this arbitrary 1760 yards in a mile come from? What is that good to divide by and how does that fit with 12?
Adam   Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:39 pm GMT
The imperial system has its origins in the mists of time. The ancient Egyptians certainly used a version to build the pyramids. It is based upon human quantities, ie. an inch is a "thumb", a foot is a ... er.. foot! Another standard for an inch was three barleycorns. A yard is the distance between your outstretched hand and nose, etc. A cupful is the amount of water you can hold in your cupped hands. A hundredweight is the most a person can carry. A handy sized throwing stone weighs a pound.

Imperial measures are usually based on 12's or 16's because these can be divided into fractions.

The metric system was devised at the time of the French Revolution in a frenzy of destruction of all things ancient. In 1795 they calculated (inaccurately) the distance between the north pole and the equator and divided it by ten million to produce the metre. It related to nothing on a human scale although was a bit larger than a yard. Everything is based on the unit ten which is very inflexible, albeit easy to calculate. If it was such a good system why do the French pack their wine bottles in boxes of 12?! A third of a metre is an infinite number! Actually Napoleon detested the metric system!

The metric system has never been adopted voluntarily. It was a criminal offence to use the old imperial system in France, just as it has now been made so in Britain.

V Linacre arr D Delaney

bwmaonlinr.com
Adam   Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:42 pm GMT
" especially if we're playing at Twickenham"

Which we are doing - in the last game of the tournament.

That means that England will win all their games before we play France, and France will win all their games before they play England, meaning the winner of England VS France at Twickenham will win the tournament.

I can't see ANYBODY beating England, the World Champions, at home.
Guest   Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:24 pm GMT
Lets keep Greg and Adam happy.

1st equal: England - France
Damian   Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:53 pm GMT
Nobody uses Fahrenheit in the UK do they? If somebody said to me that it was twelve degrees in the Cairngorms last night I would think they they were loopy because it's the end of January. If they said it was minus eleven I would believe them because it was (BLEEP) cold last night. But twelve degrees in the Cairngorms is mid summer stuff. It's quite warm here right now as it's three degrees according to local channels. What's that in fartingheight?
Damian   Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:59 pm GMT
England, Adam? Full marks for optimism and confidence........at least I have to hand it to you. If they do, mine's a Tennants.

***criminal offence to use the old imperial system in France, just as it has now been made so in Britain**

One bloke on a market stall in England was fined for selling bananas by the pound instead of by the kilo.
Ren   Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:05 pm GMT
>>Nobody uses Fahrenheit in the UK do they? <<

Haven't seem anyone in the United Kingdom use Fahrenheit to measure temperature. The United Kingdom is a mixture of both Metric and Inperial systems. On the weather channel I heard. 'Drivers driving along the M16 are expecting -3 *C and are recommended to travel at 30mph.'

I even seen a similar situation in the United States where the Metric system is used to measure liquids such as milk in 'litres' though they would spell it 'liters' but in theory it's still bloodly metric with an 'American' twist.
Ren   Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:08 pm GMT
>>One bloke on a market stall in England was fined for selling bananas by the pound instead of by the kilo. <<

Though I would perfer the metric system over the imperial system I have to disagree with the forced impose of the metric system on people.

Who knows? It could backfire!