Is anyone knows how to speak Filipino?

May I have your attention   Thu May 27, 2010 4:29 am GMT
<<<My wife is from Zamboanga del Sur and she understand Cebuano 100%, no problem at all. >>>

MAIL ORDER BRIDE ALERT!
i am a fil   Thu May 27, 2010 7:00 am GMT
@ carlos: because zamboanga region primarily speaks chavacano and cebuano, that's why zamboanguenos understands the two language very well.
Even Tagalogs generally understand spanish as well. There are 5,000+ loanwords of spanish in tagalog. Also,in cavite, there is a spanish creole language called caviteno/ternateno, unlike zamboanga chavacano which derives their grammar and words from cebuano and spanish, caviteno chavacano use the grammar and words from tagalog,spanish with some portuguese influence.

@ antonio: are you sure that there's an exact number of 1,500 warriors? And 49 christian soldiers? Shame on you, read the philippine history first huh?

By the way, not only lapu-lapu done a heroic thingy, our pambansang bayani (or National hero) Jose P. Rizal, proves that 'pen is mightier than sword',through his intillegence, perseverance and kind-heart, he fought over the spanish without shedding a drop of blood, //btw, our national hero speaks and understands 26 languages (filipino,visaya.spanish, german,italian, english, latin, malay, chinese, etc etc etc)
i am a fil   Thu May 27, 2010 7:01 am GMT
@ carlos: because zamboanga region primarily speaks chavacano and cebuano, that's why zamboanguenos understands the two language very well.
Even Tagalogs generally understand spanish as well. There are 5,000+ loanwords of spanish in tagalog. Also,in cavite, there is a spanish creole language called caviteno/ternateno, unlike zamboanga chavacano which derives their grammar and words from cebuano and spanish, caviteno chavacano use the grammar and words from tagalog,spanish with some portuguese influence.

@ antonio: are you sure that there's an exact number of 1,500 warriors? And 49 christian soldiers? Shame on you, read the philippine history first huh?

By the way, not only lapu-lapu done a heroic thingy, our pambansang bayani (or National hero) Jose P. Rizal, proves that 'pen is mightier than sword',through his intillegence, perseverance and kind-heart, he fought over the spanish without shedding a drop of blood, //btw, our national hero speaks and understands 26 languages (filipino,visaya.spanish, german,italian, english, latin, malay, chinese, etc etc etc)
Carlos I de España   Thu May 27, 2010 7:07 am GMT
Typical insult from a twit that has been raised in a family of twits, his mother most likely marrying his twit father for his money (i.e. prostitution) and his wife doing the same to him. A very sad family environment.

Under those circumstances is only normal the lack of affection and manhood that leads so many twits to suicide. Add to that the lack of melanin, and you'll understand why you have so many Latin and Filipino lovers, but you'd never heard of an English lover. Only of English patients.

The explanation resides in the fact that those English patients are actually the descendants of Spanish and haven't sunbathed for thousands of years, as DNA analysis has unequivocally found that Britain's indigenous population have an almost identical genetic "fingerprint" to a tribe of Iberians from the coastal regions of Spain who sailed across almost 6,000 years ago.

But in spite of that irrefutable evidence, twits will deny it, closing their eyes and dreaming they are the descendants of tribes from central Europe.
Could anybody be more pathetic than that? I doubt it.
Antonio Pigafetta   Thu May 27, 2010 7:11 am GMT
Magellan deployed forty-nine armored men with swords, axes, shields, crossbows and guns, and sailed for Mactan in the morning of April 28.

Filipino historians note that because of the rocky outcroppings, and coral near the beach, the Christian soldiers could not land on Mactan. Forced to anchor their ships far from shore, Magellan could not bring his ships' firepower to bear on Datu Lapu-Lapu's warriors, who numbered more than 1,500.

"When morning came, forty-nine of us leaped into the water up to our thighs, and walked through water for more than two cross-bow flights before we could reach the shore. The boats could not approach nearer because of certain rocks in the water. The other eleven men remained behind to guard the boats. When we reached land, [the natives] had formed in three divisions to the number of more than one thousand five hundred persons. When they saw us, they charged down upon us with exceeding loud cries... The musketeers and crossbow-men shot from a distance for about a half-hour, but uselessly..."

Many of the warriors attacked Magellan; he was wounded in the arm with a spear and in the leg by a kampilan. With this advantage, the Lapu-Lapu's troops finally overpowered, and killed him. He was stabbed, and hacked by spears and swords. Pigafetta and the others managed to escape,

"Recognizing the captain, so many turned upon him that they knocked his helmet off his head twice... An Indian hurled a bamboo spear into the captain's face, but the latter immediately killed him with his lance, which he left in the Indian's body. Then, trying to lay hand on sword, he could draw it out but halfway, because he had been wounded in the arm with a bamboo spear. When the natives saw that, they all hurled themselves upon him. One of them wounded him on the left leg with a large cutlass, which resembles a scimitar, only being larger. That caused the captain to fall face downward, when immediately they rushed upon him with iron and bamboo spears and with their cutlasses, until they killed our mirror, our light, our comfort, and our true guide. When they wounded him, he turned back many times to see whether we were all in the boats. Thereupon, beholding him dead, we, wounded, retreated, as best we could, to the boats, which were already pulling off..."
Carlos I de España   Thu May 27, 2010 8:07 am GMT
I just found this:

List of speakers per language

Below are population estimates from the 2000 Philippine census by National Statistics Office of the Philippines on the number of Filipinos who speak the following 18 languages as a native language.

Number of native speakers
Tagalog 22,000,000
Cebuano 20,000,000
Ilokano 7,700,000
Hiligaynon 7,000,000
Waray-Waray 3,100,000
Kapampangan 2,900,000
Chavacano (Spanish Creole) 2,500,000
Northern Bicol[7] 2,500,000
Pangasinan 2,434,086
Southern Bicol[8] 1,200,000
Maranao 1,150,000
Maguindanao 1,100,000
Kinaray-a 1,051,000
Tausug 1,022,000
Surigaonon 600,000
Masbateño 530,000
Aklanon 520,000
Ibanag 320,000

It comes from the National Statistics Office of the Philippines, so it must be correct, right?

The Visayan language with the most speakers is Cebuano, spoken by 20 million people as a native language in Central Visayas, northern and eastern parts of Mindanao. Two other well-known Visayan languages are Hiligaynon, spoken by 7 million in western Visayas and Waray-Waray spoken by 3 million in eastern Visayas.

I see also that Cebuano, Waray-Waray and Hiligaynon (also known as "Ilonggo") are very similar:
http://en.wikipilipinas.org/index.php?title=Languages_of_the_Philippines#Philippine_Languages_Comparison_Chart
im a fil   Thu May 27, 2010 10:43 am GMT
those statistics is already out-of-date, Philippine population is already 92 million. And I wont accept that there's only 22 million tagalog native speaker,because Megamanila alone (not metromanila) is already 20 million in population, not counting other provinces with tagalog as the native language.

I already saw those informations in wikipedia, i almost read all of your statements before in the wkipedia site and i can say that wikipedia, is really NOT A RELIABLE SOURCE OF INFORMATION, specially when it comes to numbers. They are not credible, and very biased authors.
Carlos I de España   Thu May 27, 2010 12:21 pm GMT
Well, if you know better, why don't you change it?
The "authors" are anybody that has some knowledge to contribute.

You must cite credible references though, like the National Statistics Office of the Philippines, or something equally official.

Opinions and points of view, like "I wont accept" are not allowed.
If you know that Manila alone has over 20 million Tagalog native speakers, share that information with the world. I for one will be most grateful.
im a fil   Fri May 28, 2010 3:52 am GMT
I agree, I'll update those articles (hmmmft...) after the new 2010 NSO statistics will come out this mid-2010. But before anything else, I want you to know that even if you are a foreigner, i salute you for being knowledgable with our language and culture. Have a nice stay here in the philippines. Filipinos will be always hospitable to all foreigners like you,because filipinos likes...

VISITORS and new friends.
Carlos I de España   Fri May 28, 2010 6:48 am GMT
Thank you very much,
I can testify to the hospitality of most Filipinos and is not faked because even babies genuinely smile when they see you. Most of my foreign friends have similar experiences.

I truly love the country and its people.
Mabuhay ang Pilipinas!
im a fil   Sat May 29, 2010 2:40 am GMT
Walang anuman! (You're welcome! )
Daghang salamat sa imo for the nice conversation.
I really can say that you are already FILIPINO by 'heart'.

Maayong aga.
Carlos I de España   Sat May 29, 2010 3:08 am GMT
Salamat
Jeremy D.C.   Sun May 30, 2010 7:46 pm GMT
Yeah, I speak Filipino. I think it has it's own charm, but it might sound strange or clumsy to foreigners. Whenever I can't think of the correct Filipino phrase to use, I usually fall back to a Spanish loan word haha.

Example: Naiingit siya. [He's getting jealous] = Filipino term
Nagseselos [He's getting jealous] = Spanish derived term from "celoso"

Another interesting feature of Filipino is that code switching is generally accepted so one can break out in English when speaking Filipino. Creating verbs is also easy; just add the prefix "mag-" to something.

Example: Say I don't know how to say "I will go shopping at the mall." So I can say "Magshoshopping ako sa mall." So this works for texting = "magtetext" and just about any word in English or other languages.
Perdidos   Sun May 30, 2010 8:06 pm GMT
Jeremy , Are filipinos proud of their Spanish heritage or not?
LA BELLA FILIPINA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9aoplqwhLM

Filipinos hispanos / Hispanic Filipinos
Suspiros de España
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfvvGaxRGzA

yo te dire los ultimos de filipinas
Tala, la tagala
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJLJMnUeXpI
Jeremy D.C.   Sun May 30, 2010 9:15 pm GMT
To Perdidos:

Yeah, Filipinos are proud of their Spanish heritage. I actually know La Bella Filipina by heart haha. We're proud to have strong Spanish surnames and love our Catholic faith. Everything Filipino, whether it be cuisine or culture, language or faith, has been touched by the Spanish and left with an Iberian impression. Sure, there were abuses in the past during the colonial period, but a lot of benefits came from the Spanish/Filipino encounters. Plus, Filipinos can relate to their Asian brethren geographically but can also relate to their Hispanic hermanos too because of culture.