Studying a language for four weeks.

4 WEEK WORK   Tue May 25, 2010 8:57 am GMT
I am going to study a language for four weeks only and see how much I can achieve in four weeks of good, solid study. When I first started learning Spanish I remember studying Spanish for about a month before going to Spain and in that mouth I managed to learn a basic, good grammatically usable amount. While I was not very advanced, I knew enough to get my point accross.

Can anyone suggest a language that would be compatible with studying in four weeks. A language that the basics are immediately obvious and immdelately resonably easy to start with. Some languages it can take 4 weeks to ever get your head around the most basic concepts.
Vivian   Tue May 25, 2010 1:00 pm GMT
As an English speaker, you'll most probably find languages beloning to the same language family with English easy to grasp basics, such as French, Spanish and German where there are a lot of words similar to English words.
If you'd like challenging the limit, think about Chinese.
In addition, hope a handy dictionary can help you(www.hnhsoft.com).
greg   Sat May 29, 2010 12:28 am GMT
You should learn a language called English. I hear it is very useful.
guy   Sat May 29, 2010 12:34 am GMT
I studied Italian and in one month I achieved intermediate-advanced level.
@Vivian   Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:34 am GMT
English and French are not in the same branch of the Indo-European language family. Just because 2 languages are related doesn't mean that they are easy to learn for speakers of one of the languages. English is part of the Germanic branch, whereas French is based on Vulgar Latin, which branched off from the Italic branch, which branched off perhaps from the Italo-Celtic branch of Indo-European. English is also (distantly) related to Hindi, but it is not easy to learn Hindi. However, the reason that the Latin-based languages are easy to learn for English speakers is their simplified grammar, and the fact that English got a lot of Latin and Greek words via Norman French.