"practiCe" in AE and BrE?

Corrs   Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:47 pm GMT
<<The British use the word "practice" as a noun and the word "practise" as a verb. The British way of doing it is the better way.>>

Actually Adam, it's the American way that's better. Their way is simple whereas our way is complex and requires a needless spelling distinction.
Kirk   Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:52 pm GMT
<<Actually Adam, it's the American way that's better. Their way is simple whereas our way is complex and requires a needless spelling distinction.>>

Arguing over which way is better is kind of pointless, I think.
Corrs   Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:57 pm GMT
<<Arguing over which way is better is kind of pointless, I think.>>

Actually it is. I've always wondered though, why a distinction was made between the spellings of the noun ''practice'' and the verb ''practise'' when there's no difference in pronunciation. Being British, I make the distinction in spelling, but I still don't see any reason why they should be distinguished in the first place. After all, we don't have a spelling distinction between the noun and the verb forms of ''brush'', ''turn'' etc.
Jim   Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:31 am GMT
We should start using "uce" for the noun and "use" for the verb ... surely this is the better way of doing it.
eito(jpn)   Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:35 am GMT
If so, how would you spell "usage"?
Corrs   Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:36 am GMT
<<If so, how would you spell "usage"?>>

Surely, ''ucage'' wouldn't work. That looks like a kind of ''cage''.
Guest   Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:19 am GMT
uceage
:-p   Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:08 am GMT
I'm certain Adam doesn't mean what he says half the time. Look... usually he doesn't even care to defend himself!

I think he's just some mischievous man who loves to make an idiot of himself here and there, but doesn't really mean anything. Basically, it's meaningless spam, but certainly not malice. Heh :-p
Sarah   Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:30 am GMT
Dear all..
I would like to know two things:

1) a lot of abbreviations !!

2)If I study General English what should I use American or Britain ??

cheers..
Uriel   Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:48 am GMT
You should study whichever you are more likely to use more often.
JJM   Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:13 am GMT
Sarah:

Uriel is correct. It depends largely on where you are and your motivation for learning English.

If you're in Europe and are thinking of working and travelling in the UK, it's clear BE would be the most use to you.

Anywhere else these days, and in the fields of finance and IT, you'll probably get more out of AE.
Sarah   Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:11 pm GMT
Uriel and JJM .
Thank you ..
I am from Saudia Arabia, so every one can choose what he like,but as English Student and I talk with other people from many countries non native speaker,what should I use?
I like both,but some words has different spelling,so I confuse!
Benjamin   Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:23 pm GMT
Realistically, it probably won't make that much difference for you whether you learn British English, American English, or one of the many other forms — especially as you don't seem to think that you're more likely to have to use one over the other.

Essentially, the United States uses American spelling, whilst most other English-speaking countries use British spelling (although Canada might use both, I think?) But there are also many different words used in other English-speaking countries, like Australia, New Zealand and South Africa etc.
Uriel   Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:48 pm GMT
Sarah, the spelling differences between the different varieties of English are usually very minor -- center/centre, favor/favour, etc. Don't let them bother you!

There is no "right" answer to your question "If I study General English what should I use American or Britain ??" (except that it's "or BritISH"). Either one is acceptable. But given that you are physically closer to Europe, and you are already signing off with "cheers", you might be more likely to come into contact with the British version.
Sarah   Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:07 am GMT
I would like to express my thanks to all of you for your replies..

I am sorry for that mistake Uriel ..You know.. I was laugh at my mistake and your answer <There is no "right" answer to your question> because I felt shame about what I did :)..As you know I am an English Student ,so I should not do small mistake like that in simple grammer. .

I think that when I use AE (accent) language I can get it quick than BE ,like --favor --it is easier than --favour-- because I learning at univ a half of AE and the same of BE..!!
It is no problem if wrote to my teacher in the test any one of them.! Because we learn E as second language ,we do not concentrate on this matter especially at the bigenner terms (I am in 3th level) and we last 9th level to take a bachelor degree ..But I want to identify that from now..