Why should US president swear on Bible during inauguration

erfs   Wed May 26, 2010 3:16 am GMT
Why should US president swear on Bible during inauguration?
Is that USA is a theocratic country?
Why not swearing on Quran or Buddha books?

I haven't seen a leader who swears on any religion books during inauguration,but I am shocked that US who claimed as a democratic country which enjoys religious freedom swears on Bible which may be aggressive to muslims and buddhists.
Franco   Wed May 26, 2010 3:40 am GMT
In Spain they do too. I think that the Bible has a meaning beyond the religious one , it represents what is most sacred for the people. In a predominantly Christian country like US it is a Bible so it makes sense swearing on a Bible. It is a symbol in other words.
Irony   Wed May 26, 2010 3:51 am GMT
If he swore on that Quran it would most likely be offensive to christians.
Or is that perfectly ok?

Maybe he should swear on every religious text going, just to be sure.
+   Wed May 26, 2010 4:03 am GMT
Which bible?
The Christian Gospel is an admirable book.

The Jewish bible is the most loathsome book ever. It glorifies mass-murder and genocides and tells Moses ordered his fucking tribe to rape Gentile little girls.
No one can read that piece of crap without a strong urge to puke.
Matematik   Wed May 26, 2010 9:46 am GMT
Get Muslim leaders to swear on the bible and the torah and we'll talk.
Artem   Wed May 26, 2010 11:03 am GMT
At the inauguration president of Ukraine places his hand on the Gospel and the Constitution. No one cares what Muslims think about it. It never occurred to any one to ask their opinion.
LadyLuxembourg   Wed May 26, 2010 11:56 am GMT
He should have sworn on a Playboy magazine ;)
linscomel   Wed May 26, 2010 4:09 pm GMT
The whole tradition started way back, long before the age of political correctness. If we were just setting things up today, I doubt this would be part of the ceremony.
M   Mon May 31, 2010 3:16 am GMT
Because over 80% of American's are Christians, and only 1-2 % Jewish and 1-2% Muslims.

The U.S. is a Christian country.
Carlos I de EspaƱa   Mon May 31, 2010 11:39 am GMT
<< Because over 80% of American's are Christians >>
Actually, 76%,
of which more than 25% are Catholic, due to Spanish Heritage.

And almost 20% of Americans profess no religion.
WASP   Mon May 31, 2010 5:21 pm GMT
<<Actually, 76%, of which more than 25% are Catholic, due to Spanish Heritage.>>

Also Irish and Italian heritage.
Skippy   Mon May 31, 2010 5:52 pm GMT
http://www.snopes.com/politics/religion/ellison.asp

This talks about when Americans are sworn into federal elected office.

It's probably not so much for the President during inauguration as it is for the 3/4's of America that identifies themselves as Christians who want assurance.
crunch   Mon May 31, 2010 10:56 pm GMT
{{<< Because over 80% of American's are Christians >>
Actually, 76%,
of which more than 25% are Catholic, due to Spanish Heritage.

And almost 20% of Americans profess no religion. }}

It's more about culture and tradition than whether you're an active believer. It is also about saying "fuck you" to revisionists and people who want to undermine history.

I myself am an atheist, and yet I whole-heartedly recognise the importance and support the role of Christianity in Western society and strongly believe Christianity must be held above any newcomer religions which simply must accept that they have no right to upset the order. These militant atheists who don't recognise this are just as distasteful as religious buffoons who come to the West and expect people to give a shit about the Koran. The atheists should be grateful to Christianity that it is not fanatical and that they are allowed to be atheists without being executed. If atheists are so "reasonable", why do they give a shit about what they would consider cheap symbolism anyway?