Effects on brain of bilingualism

Carlos I de España   Sun May 30, 2010 6:53 pm GMT
"The very act of being able to speak, listen, and think in two languages and of using two languages on a daily basis appears to sharpen people's abilities to pay close attention to a aspects of tasks relevant to good performance,"

"We already know that language processing is one of the most complex activities that our brains carry out. Running two parallel language systems throughout life has had positive benefits in a number of ways,"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/north_west/8452843.stm

- Carlos I de España
I speak Latin to God,
Italian to musicians,
Spanish to women,
French at the Court,
German to my servants
and English to my horses.
Franco   Sun May 30, 2010 7:05 pm GMT
Carlos I didn't speak English nor Latin. Correct quote is:

I speak Spanish to God
Italian to women
French to men
and German to horses.
Carlos I de España   Mon May 31, 2010 1:58 am GMT
On November 16, 1501 Juana I de Castilla and Felipe el Hermoso left for Spain to be jurors in the courts as the successors of the Catholic Monarchs and Carlos I (who was only 1-year-old) was left to the care of Margaret of York.

Margaret of York was the daughter of Richard Plantagenet, 3rd Duke of York and Cecily Neville. She was the third wife of Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy, and acted as a protector of the Duchy after his death. She was also the sister of two Kings of England, Edward IV and Richard III.

Is that English enough for you, ignorant pinhead?

As for Latin, only a complete retarded nincompoop like you would fail to realize that someone who had the title of "Holy Roman Emperor" had to know Latin necessarily.

And this is all the parrot knows what to do, tell us about his ignorance over and over again. The irony is that the ignorant low-life racist feels superior.
Franco   Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:09 am GMT
<<As for Latin, only a complete retarded nincompoop like you would fail to realize that someone who had the title of "Holy Roman Emperor" had to know Latin necessarily

>>

So what? Charlemagne was the Holy Roman Emperor and couldn't even write in his native and only language, German.
GP   Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:25 am GMT
the effect on the brain of bilingualism?

1) making lots of spelling mistakes because of confusion between the two languages.

2) Sometimes using words from the different language when speaking the other language.

3) Pronouncing words in one language can be difficult because you are use to pronounce certain words differently in the other language.

Can anyone add to this list?
Franco   Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:28 am GMT
<<the effect on the brain of bilingualism?

1) making lots of spelling mistakes because of confusion between the two languages.

>>

that only happens if both languages are close enough. if someone is Spanish/Chinese bilingual I doubt he will make spelling mistakes because he confuses both languages.
^^   Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:38 am GMT
^^I was talking about European languages not Chinese/ European!
Franco   Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:39 am GMT
Even among European languages like Spanish/German there is not significant overlap.
^^   Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:46 am GMT
Fuck off Franco... get a life! Go eat paella or something!