The Pictish language, its origins; Scots?

Buzzer   Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:18 am GMT
The Pictish language has usually been related to the celtic branch of IO languages, and sometimes to non-indoeuropean languages, but would it be possible as mentionned by John Pinkerton some 2 hundred years ago (despite his racist views) that this language would be the ancestor of the modern scots language and its dialect called Doric, two Germanic idioms?

It seems logical considering that the language border (germanic vs celtic) couldn't have moved so quickly in the Middle Age to be true. Columba, a Gael, used an interpreter in Pictland and Bede stated that Pictish was a distinct language from that spoken by the Britons (Cumbric), the Irish (Scottish Gaelic), and the English (Northumbria English).
Franco   Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:20 am GMT
it was a dialect of Basque.
Nah   Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:29 am GMT
You seem to be under the impression that all old pre Indo European peoples in Europe spoke the same language or something, something which doesn't have enough evidence to be proven. In the end, I can tell it all comes back to you trying to glorify Iberia as the homeland of all Europeans or something. Lol. And as for Finnish, it wasn't exactly native to that part of Europe, and along with Hungarian, it was brought in from the Ural Mts area a bit to the east.

About the OP, Pictish is still uncertain, and could have been related to some Celtic, but probably not to Scots, which is actually an English variety coming from Anglo-Saxon originally.
Franco   Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:37 am GMT
If the Scottish have 90% of Iberian genes, what is more feasible, that the Picts spoke an Iberian language or a Germanic one? Genes are more reliable that your conjectures.

<<And as for Finnish, it wasn't exactly native to that part of Europe, and along with Hungarian, it was brought in from the Ural Mts area a bit to the east.

>>

Then there is not a single language native to Europe, because all of them arrived to Europe at some point and displaced previous languages. Finno-Ugric family of languages is older than IE tongues in the Scandinavian Peninsula, that's what I mean.
Franco   Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:48 pm GMT
Pict was a romance-slavic language. Only spanish language is indigenous in Europe, a mixed germanic-indigenous language.

Get off, stupid foreigners.
Barack O'Bama   Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:30 pm GMT
(Yeah kids, I rule Ireland too)

How much of Europe have the Picts inhabited, apart from north and central Scotland? I bet they've had their sorry asses kicked all throughout history, considering they ended their days in the bleak and miserable highlands of Scotland. Everywhere decent for cities, crops and sunbathing, they must have been kicked out.

If Celtic linguists stopped lazing around and drinking coffee in cafes and whining like most professional linguists do, to be sure, maybe they'd find time to compare the vocabulary of Scots Gaelic, Irish Gaelic, Cornish, Breton, Gaulish and Iberian Celtic, and therefore identify a few Pictish words that have been brought into Gaelic. Then identify the origins of Pictish.

WELL?
Franco   Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:02 pm GMT
Celtic culture in British Isles are a bullshit, irish propaganda. In fact, the Celts come from Spain and have spread every where but in British Isles, before called "islas de los monos".
Logo   Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:16 pm GMT
Tacitus describes the inhabitants of Caledonia (i.e Picts) as "being clearly of Germanic origins having reddish hair." It is mentioned that the Romans despatced the "Rapax" legion to Scotland to presumably rape and bastardise the population. I presume this to be the reason for the swarthy types in Aberdeenshire.

Gene flow in the neolithic:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/the%20picts/wilhelmII/scan0031.jpg
Franco   Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:32 pm GMT