Compare and contrast of ROMANCE languages

Latino   Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:56 am GMT
Well that's you Tiffany, not everyone is comformist to their daily language. I'm unconventional. I use archaic and modern to blend them in AND to make the language I speak sound suave and cool.

I tend not to use "vulgarity" in English and Spanish.

Praises to all!
Tiffany   Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:26 am GMT
When I say "commonly used" I am referring to the population, not just me. In the case that it is only you, how can you then try to give us sentences to judge other languages by when you admit that you're uncoventional and use archaic terms?
Latino   Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:50 am GMT
Well, every country and variant of language; uses archaic forms of words.
If I were to use for instance "pulcro" in a sentance. Example

Aquel estatua se ve pulcro. (that statue looks exquisite)

Definition of pulcro-->"neat/tidy/smart/exquisite/delicate Or even beautiful")

exquisite and beautiful are basically the same.

It all depends on the choice of words you use. It doesn't matter how you say it, as long as you make sense. MAKE SENSE?

the other languages I can jugde efficiently

Porque son la gente/personas/pueblo asi? (spanish)

perche è la gente così ? (italian)

porque som o povo/gente/perssoas assim? (portuguese)

Pro quomo sunt gens sic (classical latin)

OR

Esta familia tiene prole; que pulcro son (spanish) lindos/bonitos/guapos/hermosos/bellos/preciosos/maravillosos/a
All of these can be used, hence pulcro too. It's just that I chose "pulcro" with respect to the other words.

Questa famiglia tiene prole; che bello sono (italian)

Esta familia tene prole; que lindo son (portuguese)

Est familiam prole tene; quid pulcher sunt (Classical latin)

Being unconventional/archaic has it's benefits...while being an conformist does too, but your just on the band wagon. With respect to all.
Tiffany   Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:58 am GMT
I understand if you use a word which may be archaic in other dialects of Spanish, but valid in yours. However, you obviously wrote sentences in languages and dialects that you cannot credibily say are used. We're supposed to be comparing and contrasting Romance languages. Why does it make sense to you to use terms no one uses it reality? Or are we not answering this using reality?

<<Questa famiglia tiene prole; che bello sono (italian)>>

In Italian:
Questa famiglia ha figli; Che belli sono!

The verb "tenere" means "to keep", not "to have".
Latino   Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:21 am GMT
Perhaps, Pulcro is used in "General spanish" not the vulgar speaking spanish.

General spanish is used mostly* on the newspaper,television,reading etc.
The so-called vulgar spanish is used for everyday usaged. While educated learners rather use* general spanish contradicting vulgar spanish.

It's all up to you. to be honest, there's no right nor wrong.

The truth is that some people PREFER the general speaking-spanish rather then the vulgar-spanish. Thus other languages aswell. It's just that I don't know the better orthography and discourse of Italian,portuguese. That's reality:)

Praises to all!
JGreco   Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:10 am GMT
>>Esta familia tene prole; que lindo son (portuguese)<<

I think "tene" should be either "tem" or "tenha" I am not quite sure because I am not quite fluent as I should be in portuguese only because I never have to really write it down I just here it and try to speak it when i visit my family in Brasil.

Also the word "esta" I think that should be different and shouldn't "son" be "sao." Pleeeeeeeease can I have someone In brasil on this forum correct that sentence for me.
ThatSexyGuyJon   Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:18 am GMT
I think it's strange how Portuguese people on these forums say that they can understand Spanish without hesitation whatsoever. To say you can understand another language completely is just plain stupid. Anyways to get to the point. I being a Spanish speaker myself have a Portuguese friend in Canada who was born in Portugal and speaks Portuguese obviously..we were chatting on msn once and I had written a quote in Spanish and he goes: Let me ask you something..what does that say? I was like don't you understand and he was like no..i then called him and asked him to try and read what I had written and he tried so hard but he was struggling so much he ended up giving up. It wasn't that I had written wrong because it was perfectly correct. I found it strange because I could unerstand his written Portuguese just fine..the spoken portuguese was a completely different story. So to say portuguese is harder..im not so sure because that experience proved to me that a portuguese person can have just as many problems with spanish and vice versa.
Xatufan   Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:00 pm GMT
Spanish and Portuguese are different languages, so some words in Spanish don't have a cognate in Portuguese and vice versa. What did you write?
Xatufan   Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:19 pm GMT
You can also say that Spanish is a Portuguese dialect. Neither is true.
Rui   Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:32 pm GMT
Latino : the sentences you wrote in Portuguese have minor errors, allow me to correct them.

«Esta familia tene prole; que lindo son»
Should be :
«Esta família tem prole; que lindo som»

«porque som o povo assim?»
«Porque é o povo assim?» (singular and not plural, but even if it was plural would be «são» and not «som»)

«Povo» is in daily use, meaning people.
«Prole» means descendancy and it’s not very common, but still I think it’s not (yet) neither an archaism nor a cultism; it can be used both in familiar and formal levels. Yet applying it to “family” doesnt sound very well, since the concept of family normaly includes several generations; it’s better to use it refering to a single individual or a couple.
Gringo   Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:21 pm GMT
Rui, it still needs a small correction:

<«Esta familia tene prole; que lindo son»
Should be :
«Esta família tem prole; que lindo som» >

( "que lindo som"= what a beautiful sound)

Esta familia tem prole; que lindos são.

No one will speak like that, this is a better way of saying it:

Esta familia tem filhos; que lindos são.
Esta familia tem filhos; como (eles) são lindos.

«««Prole»...it’s better to use it refering to a single individual or a couple. »

It is better not to use it in informal speech; it is mostly used in literary work.
Gringo   Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:59 pm GMT
««I think it's strange how Portuguese people on these forums say that they can understand Spanish without hesitation whatsoever.»»

If a person wants to learn Spanish he just listens to Spanish radio and watch Spanish TV; this is how one can get exposed to the language without going to a school to learn. But you really need to want to learn otherwise you end up speaking Portunhol.

««So to say portuguese is harder..im not so sure because that experience proved to me that a portuguese person can have just as many problems with spanish and vice versa.»»

True if you never got exposed to the Spanish language or have hardly any exposure.
It is only easier for a Portuguese speaker to understand spoken Spanish than to a Spanish speaker to understand spoken Portuguese because Spanish has a very simple phonology. (only true if people speak slowly)
Marcos   Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:34 am GMT
In Brazil, we'd say:

''Essa família tem filhos; Que lindos que eles são!''
Gringo   Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:53 am GMT
««In Brazil, we'd say:

''Essa família tem filhos; Que lindos que eles são!'' »»

translation:
''Essa família tem filhos=That family has children.

Esta familia tem filhos= This family has children.

Marcos, in European and Brazilian Portuguese you can say:

Que lindos são.
Como são lindos.
Como eles são lindos.
Que lindos que eles são.

Portuguese is a very rich language.
Jacyra   Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:33 pm GMT
Gringo, you don't know zip, nada about Brazilian usage:

In Brazil:

esse = this (one)
aquele = that (one)

essa noite = tonight, this night
aquela noite = that night

isso aqui = this (thing) here
aquilo ali = that (thing ) there

Gringo, don't go to Brazil, please.
People will laugh at your ignorance.
We won't give you enterance visa if you are so mean. Tchauzinho!