English People...

Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:00 pm GMT
Did you know that throughout the World no British Embassy or consulate flies the flag externally on the respective buildings? Great Britain is the only country in the world not to display the Union Flag in this way, apparently. Don't ask me why, as I really don't know. Seems bizarre to me. When the World Cup was on England was awash with St George flags from every possible vantage point. It seems that football is the spur to English patriotism.

The Scottish Saltire (that is, the blue and white Cross of St Andrew) flies aloft throughout Scotland 24/7... throughout the year.
Tiffany   Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:03 pm GMT
<<It's quite common to have an America flag outside your house in (much of) America, isn't it?>>

I've seen it, but would not say it was common. It was MORE common say... after the terrorist attacks on September 11th, but things have calmed down a bit. I've never had, nor ever will have, an American flag outside my house. None of my neighbors have them either. I won't get offended if I see one (and I do, as I said, every so often). I think one guy six or seven houses down my street has one. I see more of the rainbow flags (for homosexuality) where I live, actually...
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:07 pm GMT
***There are more French living in Britain than there are Brits living in France***

Adam: that's hard to believe .....prove it! That must be one of your most off the wall statements yet. Brits move to Provence and the Dordogne and places like that for the better weather and more relaxed, laid back way of life. I know that young French people come to places like London and here to Edinburgh because they are cities with plenty of fun and night life, but please, Adam, why else would, according to you, so many French people move to the UK? Apart from learning the beautiful English Language, I just cannae think of any valid reasons to be honest.
JJM   Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:09 pm GMT
"Did you know that throughout the World no British Embassy or consulate flies the flag externally on the respective buildings?"

Interesting. But then how do you explain that Union Jack flying above the British High Commission on Elgin Street in Ottawa?
Sander   Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:13 pm GMT
=>Interesting. But then how do you explain that Union Jack flying above the British High Commission on Elgin Street in Ottawa? <=

Treason?
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:18 pm GMT
The English were once reputed to be cold and reserved and I remember reading once that at one time an Englishman of a certain class (when England was a so called class-conscious country) would not speak to another without some form of introduction! To us now that seems ridiculous and personally I don't think it ever happened. Instantaneous displays of bonhomie and over friendliness on first meeting someone are often false and phoney anyway, and that is not the British approach as a rule.

It's true that generally (you always have to generalise in matters like this) the British (especially the English) are less outwardly expressive and demonstrative than many other nationalities, but they are not as reserved by any means than many people abroad would think. In fact, younger British (including we Scots) people especially are amongst the most outgoing and spontaneous in the world, according to an official BBC report a wee while back.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:24 pm GMT
JJM: I will check my sources on that one....I was merely quoting something I heard on BBC Radio Five Live only the other day. I reckon I will ring into one of their many phone-ins and demand to know from where they obtained that info. I know all the foreign Consulates here in Edinburgh fly their national flags.....which they should, naturally. It just seems strange to me why the British (according to that report I mentioned) should not do the same. Sadly, the Union Flag in the UK had been purloined by a crazy right wing extremist organistion (the British National Party) but that would not apply in foreign countries would it?
Tiffany   Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:45 pm GMT
<<the British (especially the English) are less outwardly expressive and demonstrative than many other nationalities>>

In my travels to Italy, I find that many people there are not warm and friendly until they come to know you. The old tale that Italians will say "Ciao" all the time when they see you? Not true unless you know them personally. Otherwise, reserve is what you'll find. Very strong culture of outsiders vs. insiders it seems to me. Of course, there are many factors to this, however, I find this to be the general rule. Perhaps it is different elsewhere, but this has been my experience (Northern Italy).
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:01 pm GMT
***No Larissa , they are superficial ! (Aparently friendly )***

I agree....I think many Americans are more superficial from what I've noticed in my fairly limited contact with them when I was at uni. I can't include the many American tourists we have here nearly all the year round as I've never been in contact with them except for a few I've met in our pubs or given direction to. Their "over eager on the surface" friendliness just didn't ring true somehow and more than once when you'd been chatting with them they would either just say "gotta go now" and left, or say nothing at all as they got up and walked off!

I think climate does have a strong influence on people and cultures. Mediterranean countries have outdoor lifestyles because of their reliable weather and long hours of sunshine. Here we have to take the weather as it comes and it has an effect on behaviour patterns. That's why the indoor pub culture is strong in Britain, but whenever the summer sun shines everybody takes the opportunity to sit outside with their pints and food or whatever, and with apparently increasing summer warmth and heatwaves now in the summers the pavement cafe and pub gardens culture is getting more and more popular. Until it starts to rain.....
Benjamin   Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:34 pm GMT
Northern Italy is *arguably* more like Austria or Switzerland than Southern Italy in terms of lifestyle (and personal wealth). It may be that the whole 'friendly Italians' stereotype is based primarily upon Southern Italians (which arguably includes Rome).
Tiffany   Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:12 am GMT
Yes, it may well be be based in the South. Northern Italy is much more industrialized and richer in general than Southern Italy. Of course Southern Italy is supposed to be overrun by Mafia, but hey, it could still be friendly ;) And I do believe the dividing line in most peoples minds for the South begins at Rome.
Guest   Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:19 am GMT
I heard the union flag can't be flown in the United Kingdom by non royals?

Is that true?
Guest   Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:35 am GMT
Royal flags flown in British dominion countries. These flags can only be flown in these Countries when a royal is visiting.

http://www.fcscanada.com/Royal%20Flags%20Today.gif
Uriel   Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:37 am GMT
<<I've seen it, but would not say it was common. It was MORE common say... after the terrorist attacks on September 11th, but things have calmed down a bit.>>

This is true: there was a brief flurry of flags on everything for a couple years after 2001, and then they've died down again. Prior to that, if you saw a US flag, you were probably near a post office.

<<Their "over eager on the surface" friendliness just didn't ring true somehow and more than once when you'd been chatting with them they would either just say "gotta go now" and left, or say nothing at all as they got up and walked off! >>

This is a cultural difference that is being misread, not proof of our superficiality. In the US, it is considered a sign of politeness and friendliness to chat with strangers -- it relieves the social tension of being with people you don't know. To us this is good manners, and an effort to put people at ease. The fact that this common social behavior doesn't translate well overseas does not make us shallow, just brought up to deal with social situations differently.
Cassie   Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:50 am GMT
It seems that the Britsh are very proud of their culture...English people, it just depends. Some of them are nice , some are not.