English People...

Anggie   Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:53 am GMT
Personally, I think English people are extremely easy-going and friendly. The first time you meet them, you will think they are very polite but not that easy-going. But later, the more you get to know them, they more you like them. They have a nice sense of humor, friendly and polite. It seems like they are shy but they are not.

That's what I think about English people. I don't know too many of them so what do you think of English people? And any English people here? What do you think of yourselves? :D

*Ang*
Jason   Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:54 am GMT
Agree...
Sarah   Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:06 am GMT
I agree with you two.
My professor in the univ is American :) She is ssssoo kind and friendly ,and she always smilling with all students even she does not know or teach them.And I have Brazilian teacher at my institute ,that I take some helping course about English ,she is very friendly and nice..
Candy   Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:48 am GMT
I'm English, and I'm fabulous, obviously......:-)
Kazoo   Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:53 am GMT
Are we talking about English people or English-speaking people?
menelaus   Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:17 am GMT
Anggie , My dear , you are wrong , culturally northern Anglo-Saxon countries , including the UK tend to be cold and reserved compared with the Mediterranean countries.

Because of the Mediterranean weather , historically - people tend to work less and spend more time outdoors , hence the friendliness , while in the Cold northern countries , people spend more time at work and indoors – being more reserved !

What is true, is that they are polite! But polite doesn’t mean friendly! The younger generation are more easy-going, but normally is very hard to start a conversation with the Brits (on the train for instance or on the plain while travelling) This conversations between strangers, in Mediterranean countries are very common , while in the UK , are very rare !

I have never heard people saying , the Germans, Dutch , Scandinavians are very friendly ! They are very, very reserved people . The Brits are a bit more friendly !
Guest   Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:01 am GMT
The British are like Hard boiled eggs - hard to crack but once you crack their protecting layer they can be quite friendly.

They are unlike some cultures where they would shake a stranger's hand (which most Germanic people would mistaken the person as insane).

I just find Germans just plain cold. No sense of humor not even one gram. The Northern Europeans are the indeed in my opinion the most friendly of the Germanic cultures though the Finnish people I have met can be abit too friendly that scares me pants off.
Guest   Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:03 am GMT
*Wouldn't shake
Guest   Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:05 am GMT
<the Finnish people I have met can be abit too friendly that scares me pants off. >

Sorry a mistake the Finnish are INDEED not a Germanic..

sorry
Larissa   Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:49 am GMT
Generally, are American people more easy-going and more friendly than English people?
Piotr   Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:02 pm GMT
<Generally, are American people more easy-going and more friendly than English people>

No Larissa , they are superficial ! (Aparently friendly )
Larissa   Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:09 pm GMT
so generally Americans are friendlier than English, right?
"they are superficial" I don't really like the superficial people but I think Americans can be superficial because they are the richest in the world!
Guest   Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:52 pm GMT
he larissa shut up whore
Benjamin   Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:56 pm GMT
Where are you from, Anggie?

I'm English, and I agree about the 'hard boiled eggs' simile — it seems to apply to the Germans as well. A few months ago, I went to Poland with some people from my school and some people from a German school (aged 16-18). For about the first day, neither group spoke to the other at all, after that it was fine.

I agree about the Northern European vs. Southern European thing as well. I find that people in towns in Britain, Germany, Belgium etc. tend to charge about starring at the ground, but people are usually more relaxed in Italy, Spain and Portugal. I tend to think of France as being split in half — Northern France feels Northern European, whilst Southern France feels Southern European, in my opinion.
Guest   Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:40 pm GMT
<Because of the Mediterranean weather , historically - people tend to work less and spend more time outdoors , hence the friendliness , while in the Cold northern countries , people spend more time at work and indoors – being more reserved ! >

I agree with the "weather effect" People in southern US are more friendly than in the North US