affectionate mode of addressing to men

Uriel   Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:32 pm GMT
:) "Pookie" is a common term of endearment that really means nothing -- it's just a cute word.
Fredrik from Norway   Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:32 pm GMT
I have a soft spot for Scottish lassie (female) and laddie (male)!

Some Norwegian boys like being called tigergutt = tiger boy, the Norwegian name of Winnie the Pooh's tiger friend.
Uriel   Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:24 am GMT
What, not "Eeyore"? ;)

Which I never as a child realized is supposed to be a transcription of a donkey's bray, because the R threw me off...
Irina   Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:55 am GMT
"on people who are often smarter and more tallented..."
I wasn't talking about myself... it was about slavs cause they are very talented and smart people, as a matter of fact
Damian   Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:53 am GMT
***I have a soft spot for Scottish lassie (female) and laddie (male)!***

Said with typical Scandinavian good taste.

Both lassie and laddie are widely used here as appropriate. From what I've observed the word laddie is used, in England particularly, when addressing a guy with irritation or sarcasm: "Now look here, laddie.....do that again and .....(then comes some sort of threat)". With regard to lassie, in the North of England they seem to say "lass" instead when referring to a female..of course. "Aye, she's a reet good looking lass, she is!"

For guys, the word lad is widely used as well, eg in personal lads. "Good looking blond Edinburgh lad 23 seeks..........(whatever)".
Damian   Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:00 am GMT
***it was about slavs cause they are very talented and smart people***

Very good looking as well, from what I've seen......as with many East Europeans, and many of them are so tall! When I worked in the supermarket I really enjoyed it when they came to my checkout as they are in the UK in huge numbers during the summer particularly. I liked to think I was making some sort of contribution to their English Language learning practice, but a lot of them were really cool aready in that respect.
christine   Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:16 pm GMT
i suggerst you think of something sweet name like a petname for your special someone because if you use "honey" or "sweetheart" its too common..i suggest you make your own like "cupcake" or "gummybear" sounds corny but sweet...
Fredrik from Norway   Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:09 am GMT
I suggest something from the animal word:
Puppy
Squirrel
Weasel
Bunny
Fox
Wolf
Bear
Lion
Tiger
Elephant (LOL!)
jo   Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:10 am GMT
for us Filipinos "pookie" is the female genitalia... i suggest that you do not use it...
Uriel   Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:05 am GMT
I can't imagine too many guys being thrilled about being called "weasel", Fredrik!

But Jumbo, sure....(elephant reference) ;p
onewhowantstoknow   Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:06 pm GMT
i have a bf and his name is john and i need to no wat kinda nickname or pet name i should give him i have no clue but i do know he loves me and he calls me miss _____. i need a nickname or pet name for him can any one help me if so just find a way to tell me
pleaz
Guest   Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:13 pm GMT
Eric called Morgan "weasel" on Boy Meets World...