Old Spice Bottle

Alison   Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:28 am GMT
Does Old Spice Bottle mean wine?

The context is "We linked this (book cover picture for Persuation) in another forum, commenting that Captain Wentworth appeared to have fallen off an Old Spice bottle, and a friend responded, “Don’t worry, Regency Barbie is there to rescue him!”

Thanks.
Adam   Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:30 am GMT
I think Old Spice is men's aftershave. So is a bottle of men's aftershave.
Gjones2   Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:32 pm GMT
Yes, as Adam says, it's a reference to the aftershave lotion. I used to use that brand myself. I recall that it had pictures of ships on the bottle. I believe that there were TV ads that featured a captain or some kind of sailor.

Ebay picture of a bottle: http://tinyurl.com/9ul87
Alison   Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:10 pm GMT
The picture mentioned in my quotation is here: www.austenblog.com

You have to scroll down a little bit to see Captain Wentworth.
Gjones2   Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:30 pm GMT
I read the book (a hardback library copy) and saw one of the Persuasion movies. (I'm a big fan of Jane Austen and have read all her novels.) I'd never seen that paperback cover before, though.

The picture does look familiar. It reminds me of the Old Spice TV commercials. Maybe something like it also appeared on bottles or in print advertisements. I can't recall anything specific, though.
Alison   Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:34 pm GMT
I haven't read all her books yet, so I'll call myself Janeite in the making. Now if I encounter any lingusitic problem when reading JA related books and etc., I know where to get help!
Gjones2   Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:59 pm GMT
I didn't read Austen myself for a long time (I thought she would be too sissy for me). When I finally got around to reading Pride and Prejudice, though, I discovered that I really liked it. I went on to read all the other novels. I didn't like Persuasion as much as Pride and Prejudice, but there weren't any of her books that really displeased me. Austen knows how to tell a love story, has a good sense of humor, and considerable insight into human nature.

I don't keep the details of the books in my memory, but I'll be glad to try to answer any language questions you have. If I don't know the answer, maybe somebody else will.
Alison   Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:05 pm GMT
Then thanks in advance!