Has or Had? Is/was?

Katherine   Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:13 am GMT
Hi
I had written this sentence "Mr Smith advised the committee that Mr Jones has agreed to act as an independent advisor to the school."
Should this have been "Mr Smith advised the committee that Mr Jones had agreed to act as an independent advisor to the school."
I feel that 'has' implies the consent is ongoing whereas 'had' implies that he no longer gives his consent. I am prepared to be persuaded otherwise. I have a similar issue with " ... advised that further work was/is required" if the work will be completed in the future.
thanks!
Uriel   Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:59 am GMT
Both sentences are correct, subject to the time frames you describe. So if Mr. Jones is still going to be acting as independent advisor, go with sentence #1, using "has". If his tenure is over, use "had". Same in your second example about further work being required.
kritika   Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:57 am GMT
hi
my friend who has got his first job has become very cool these days.
i want to write the sentence tht he shud get serious because its high to think about he career. how effectively i can write this sentence?
kritika   Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:17 am GMT
Hi
no one has sent any reply yet. this is the first time i have asked. please send reply. my question is...
my friend who has got his first job has become very cool these days.
i want to write the sentence that he should get serious because its high time too think about his career. how effectively i can write this sentence?