Fish/Fishes

Trust   Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:33 pm GMT
Thanks Claude,

May I know which is the actual water for this fish. Is it Switzerland or India? Again, do not say that you swim every winter from India to Switzerland. What do you do Claude? Working, Studying, or Playing pranks with the people in both the countries :)

Cheers.
Claude   Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:49 pm GMT
Trust

The actual water for me is Switzerland.

Since seven years I have been living alternately between Switzerland (working place as an accountant) and India (no work : full family life). I use to spend January in Switzerland, February in India, March in Switzerland, and so on, shifting of country every month. This has never been boring, as I feel at home in both countries and I just feel like a bird when flying (British Airways is my most favourite Airline).

I must admit that it would be difficult for me to live now in just one country, or continent. I need two homes, because I am used to it.
And I find this just fabulous.

But if I may confide a secret to you : I never feel like a fish out of water, even if life has made me a fish living alternately in two very different waters.

Cheers. Claude.
Trust   Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:52 pm GMT
Thatz great Claude.

You live in two countries. And you say, your family live in India. I have seen people born in India, move to switzerland and then may or may not go back to India. You are the other way around. If you say, your actual water is Switzerland, were you born in Switzerland? And, your family in India? Thatz Kool. But don you get frustrated by the change in climate, people etc.,? (I understand, some people like to travel)

Anyways, I did not guess that this pranking fish would answer my questions. Oops, did I ask you too many questions?

Cheers :)
Claude   Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:48 pm GMT
Trust,

Yes I was born in Switzerland. My wife is Indian (arranged marriage which turned up to a love marriage) and our two daughters have mixed blood (luckily they both can study in a French school in India).

Changing climate, changing people, is not a problem ; I think life and people have made me a very adaptable person. When I change continent, I just go from home to home, so I never feel frustrated.

Where are you from Trust ?

Cheers. Claude.
Trust   Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:35 pm GMT
Sorry for the delay Claude.

I could not reply, 'coz there were two happy days in the weekend which I did not want to spend in front of my system.

If you wanna know about me:

I am born in India, grew up as an orphan. (My uncle who looked after me was although like nothing) Then, I joined a school where I was given good education and a place to stay. I completed higher secondary and started working. Again, a year later, I thought of continuing my studies. I joined a second level college and completed my +2. After completion, I got a job as an accountant in a firm. They offered me good salary. The first thing I bought was a television. I was fond of serial "Friends" in star world. That improved my English to a great extent. It also did show a path to my Career. I started my career in a call centre. Completed my graduation. Now, am here in a multinational company as a process lead.

I think this gives not only my location but my complete profile. (if married, would have given a story of my wife too..... :) )

Cheers,
Trust
PeterR   Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:51 pm GMT
I use "fish" for all kinds of plural but, probably due to my upbringing on the KJV Bible, would accept "fishes" when talking about several individual fish.

Contra Adam "deers" don't exist at all, so far as I know!

Peter
Claude   Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:47 pm GMT
Trust

Thank you for the details about you and I really feel greatly saddened by the emotional baggage you had to endure due to your orphan life.

I will stop my alternate life between Switzerland and India end of July this year, as I have decided to stay in southern India with my wife, my daughters, my Indian family and friends and Boxho, my dog. India will become my main home and Switzerland my holiday home.

All the best for your future. Choose only good friends for you. You deserve it.

Cheers. Claude.
Adam   Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:36 pm GMT
"Contra Adam "deers" don't exist at all, so far as I know!"

Singular, Plural of some words

alumna, alumnae

alumnus, alumni

analysis, analyses

auditorium, auditoriums

bacterium, bacteria

box, boxes

child, children

crisis, crises

crisis, crises

deer, deer/deers

fish, fish/fishes

foot, feet

fungo, fungoes

goose, geese

house, houses

man, men

milk, –

mother-in-law, mothers-in-law

mouse, mice

ox, oxen

–, pants

–, people

physics, –

–, scissors

sheep, –

sock, socks/sox

tooth, teeth

woman, women

http://www.rong-chang.com/grammar/spelling_rules.htm
Adam   Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:38 pm GMT
Plurals -

Fish = if they are of the same species.
Fishes = of different species

Deer = same species
Deer = different species.
Adam   Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:39 pm GMT
AAAAAAAAAAAH

That should be -

Deer = same species
Deers = different species.
Uriel   Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:04 pm GMT
No, they don't. Even scientists call caribou, elk, and whitetail different species of DEER.
Trust   Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:04 pm GMT
Thanks Claude,

However, I do not will to accept any words of sympathy which might make me feel alone. But I understand that those were good words.

I would admire when you decide to stay in India :)

Thanks again for your kind words.

Take care.

Cheers,
Trust