How far along is she??

Ainoo   Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:35 am GMT
In the song Stan by Eminem and Dido, which was very popular several years ago, there were lyrics something like that: ".. your girlfriend's pregnant now.. how far along is she?"
Does this phrase mean "how long has she already been pregnant"? Is it actually common to say it in English?
Dude Who Knows   Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:42 am GMT
<<Does this phrase mean "how long has she already been pregnant"?>>

Yes.

<<Is it actually common to say it in English?>>

Yes.
B-radG   Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:20 pm GMT
Before I make my statement, I'd like to ask to anyone who might read this, is anyone at this place from the U.S.? And if so, were you born there? I just had to ask, because I was, and I think of about everything I've read, there's only one person I think might be from the U.S. ... BTW, incase anyone's wondering, the reason I'm here is beyond me. I just stumbled across this site while looking up how the Australian accent originated.

Anyhow, "Dude Who Knows" is correct. The statement made by Eminem - "how far along is she?" - does mean "How long has she been pregnant?". It's just another way of putting it. And though the phrase is used quite often in the U.S., it's more "Politically Correct" to say "How long has she been pregnant?", than "how far along is she?".
Uriel   Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:47 pm GMT
There are quite a few Americans here. Why? Did you think we were missing? ;)
B-radG   Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:56 pm GMT
"There are quite a few Americans here. Why? Did you think we were missing? ;)"

You were the person I was referring to when I said "there's only one person I think might be from the U.S.". You seemed like it anyways, from the posts I read of yours. I just wasn't sure, considering this is a site to learn how to speak English properly. (is it not?) I figured there probably wouldn't be too many people who already know how to speak English properly, because of that. Then again, they could be here to help others, which is probably useful ... Maybe I'll stick around and answer a few questions too ... if possible.
Uriel   Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:08 am GMT
Kirk, Travis, american nic (obviously), Brennus, and mjd are all American, as far as I know, and there are a number of others I can't think of off the top of my head. We're pretty well-represented, I think.
Uriel   Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:09 am GMT
And Tiffany! How could I forget Tiffany?! ;) Don/Spaceflight, too. And there are more.
Dude Who Knows   Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:13 am GMT
I'm American.
B-radG   Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:26 am GMT
Well that's good. I was hoping I wasn't the only American here ... though there wouldn't be anything wrong with it if I was. It just feels more comfortable for some reason.
Stan   Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:17 pm GMT
<< Kirk, Travis, american nic (obviously), Brennus, and mjd are all American, as far as I know, and there are a number of others I can't think of off the top of my head. We're pretty well-represented, I think. >>

I sort of figured that out, thanks to the obvious bias in the editing of threads. I'll put that in mind the next time I make posts.

<< I'm American. >>

Good, thats a wonderfull piece of information, its really going to make a huge impact on the staus quo, you should get yourself a drink as well.
Stan   Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:37 am GMT
mdj, your points are well taken, its nice to know you're around (doing some monitoring), and always correcting mistakes (:(). I would love to be a moderator myself, I know too many people on the forum would be uncomfortable with my standards of decency.