Canadian Accent Studies

Uriel   Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:32 pm GMT
>>The devil may be in the detail, but when those Rs and As have belted you around the ears, the minor differences are insufficient for most of us.<<

Is that you Adam? Kindly translate "devil" without getting too biblical. Is it the one characteristic of 16th century English of pre-nonrhotic England?

"The devil is in the details" is a common phrase meaning that it's the smaller things that will trip you up or cause you trouble.
american nic   Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:50 am GMT
I was in San Francisco once with a group, and I was talking about something, and one guy who lived near San Bernadino (originally from San Jose) laughed and mockingly said 'aboot' when I said the word about. I don't say aboot unless I'm talking about shoes. I think it's funny. Especially since I'm from Minnesota, and I've only even ever been to Canada once. BTW, often has a silent T.
Guest   Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:45 am GMT
" "The devil is in the details" is a common phrase meaning that it's the smaller things that will trip you up or cause you trouble. "

Obviously not common enough.
Guest   Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:18 pm GMT
>> I was in San Francisco once with a group, and I was talking about something, and one guy who lived near San Bernadino (originally from San Jose) laughed and mockingly said 'aboot' when I said the word about. <<

Yeah, some Minnesotans have some Canadian raising, but usually not as strong as rural areas in Canada. It's interesting how it's perceived by many as "aboot", even though it's really uh-buh-oo-t (or even aboat in rapid speech in some teenagers), which is an allophone of "aboat" in most English dialects.
David R   Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:42 pm GMT
Guest - Good observation, I completely agree with your more accurate phonetic scribing of the Canadian raising!.

D.
JJM   Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:38 pm GMT
Damian:

"I take it you don't make a point of displaying the red maple leaf then?"

Au contraire, mon cher ami, I am happy to display our magnificent flag any time. But no, I don't go out of my way to do it.
Guest   Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:54 pm GMT
"I am happy to display our magnificent flag any time. But no, I don't go out of my way to do it. "
Traitor!!!!!!!!!!!
Guest   Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:07 am GMT
>>" "The devil is in the details" is a common phrase meaning that it's the smaller things that will trip you up or cause you trouble. "

>>Obviously not common enough.

If you're unfamiliar with that expression, you're probably in the wrong forum.
Manitoba Guy   Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:12 am GMT
I enjoyed the site. Loved 'Due South'!!!
Manitoba Guy   Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:14 am GMT
That is Manitoba as in Canadian province, eh!
Manitoba Guy   Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:15 am GMT
God save the Queen, eh.
Kirk   Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:07 am GMT
<<I was in San Francisco once with a group, and I was talking about something, and one guy who lived near San Bernadino (originally from San Jose) laughed and mockingly said 'aboot' when I said the word about. I don't say aboot unless I'm talking about shoes. I think it's funny. Especially since I'm from Minnesota, and I've only even ever been to Canada once. BTW, often has a silent T. >>

Being from California myself I can also confirm that people from areas like Minnesota do have a different diphthong in "about" from the one we have. While I say it [@"b{Ut], Minnesotans I've known have typically said it [@"b@Ut] or something even approaching [@"bo:t], as Guest commented on. Canadian Raising is a clear shibboleth giving away someone's Northern Midwest or (possibly) Canadian origin.
Ashley   Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:03 am GMT
ok i have to do an accent for class tomarrow and i dont know how to do it. what i have to say is Twinkle twinkle little star how i wonder what you are up abouve the world so high like a diamond in the sky. how exactly would i say that? in cadadian accent
Guest   Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:10 am GMT
>> ok i have to do an accent for class tomarrow and i dont know how to do it. what i have to say is Twinkle twinkle little star how i wonder what you are up abouve the world so high like a diamond in the sky. how exactly would i say that? in cadadian accent <<

Well, first of all do you know how to do a standard American accent? Just say it in an American accent, except for the word "like". Say like as "luh-eek". Otherwise that particular passage sounds *exactly* the same in a General American accent and a General Canadian accent. You could even get away without saying the word "like" differently as many Canadians say it the same way it's said in General American English.
Lolly   Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:39 am GMT
Not everyone in Canada has Canadian Raising.
just like not everyone in the USA pronounces OUT as [aeut] although
this pronunciation can be found all over the USA and not only in southern states as someone might say...