2 questions

abc   Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:47 pm GMT
1) does "so long as" have the same meaning as "as long as"?
2) what does "putting together" mean?
thnx
Guest   Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:53 pm GMT
1. Yes.
2. "Put together" means "to assemble".
Stan   Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:48 am GMT
"so long as" (a conjunction) :- "inasmuch as" or "provided that"

"as long as" (also a conjuction) :- "on the condition that" or "since"

Both are conjuctions, and both are obviously used to in expressions that depict an action which relies on a condition to be satisfied, before taking place. So guess what!!?; in all logic, they mean the same thing.

-- putting together --

If indeed there is another meaning (than what anyone would think) I'll love to be the first to know; the easiest things are sometimes the most difficult to answer. Aside from placing items (objects - in a broader sense) or abstracts (maybe non-proper nouns fits in) into a single group, I doubt if I know any other meaning.
Guest   Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:28 am GMT
Stan, don't try to confuse people. "So long as" and "as long as" are identical. As for "put together", it normally means "to assemble", if you were not aware of this. For example, "They put together a car." This means that they assembled a car from pieces.
Stan   Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:59 am GMT
Like I said, I always like to learn new things, thanks for your clearity. I'll be glad to put that into account the next time I try to explain "put together."
Stan   Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:01 am GMT
and thats "clarity" not "clearity" (I never seem to do away with mistakes)
abc   Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:59 am GMT
thanx guys.
to assemble a car that makes sense, but how can you assemble an educational program if "put together" means "to assemble"?
Stan   Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:08 am GMT
I guess what he (Guest - without a name) meant was to "assemble" meaning to bring or call together into a group or whole/to fit together the parts or pieces. the assembling of a car was just an analogy in relation to the wider perspective.

Why do I get the feeling you know these things already?
abc   Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:11 am GMT
>>Why do I get the feeling you know these things already?
simply, because I know these things already
Guest   Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:25 am GMT
Yes, that was just an example. For example, you can say "We put together a team." or "We assembled a team." These both mean "We gathered a group of people to form a team."
Guest   Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:36 am GMT
By the way, "assemble an educational program" does not sound right for some reason. Only "put together" is right in that case. It's use is more idiomatic even though its base meaning is "assemble". For example, one can also say "The detective put it all together, and realized who the murderer was."
Guest   Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:01 am GMT
I almost agree with my namesake above: <"So long as" and "as long as" are identical">, inasmuch as they have the same meaning in modern vernacular; of course, "so long as " is strictly correct English, whereas "as long as" is not.
Guest   Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:08 am GMT
Well, this site is for teaching modern English. I'm sure reading Shakespeare isn't a priority for most people who go here, and even if it were, they simply would not encounter "as long as". Since no one here will be attempting to _produce_ archaic English, I'm sure, it won't be a problem. I'm not trying to say that you should not mention these things, by the way. It's just that they aren't entirely relevant.

Anyway, I noticed that I wrote "It's use" above when I should have said "Its use". Sorry about that.
me   Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:39 pm GMT
nice convo
Guest   Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:07 pm GMT
I can give up your Shakespeares, yes? yippee