Guest   Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:27 pm GMT
How are these words pronounced?
Guest   Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:36 pm GMT
pron:pôn

It's a slang term, loosely meaning 'own'
Ben   Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:40 pm GMT
Sorry, that was me.

Ben.

PS: pôn as in rhymes with 'own', but you will hear it said differently, cos it's a slang term.
Travis   Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:51 pm GMT
I normally pronounce them [p_ho~:n] and [p_ho~:nt_X] respectively, but one will hear other pronunciations of "pwn" and forms derived from it as well, including pronouncing it as if the "w" were to be pronounced as in Welsh, that is, as [p_hu~:n].
Lazar   Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:13 pm GMT
I pronounce them as [poUn], [poUnd], rhyming with "own", "owned".

(Just as a little side-note, I transcribe my "long-O" phoneme as [oU] to indicate that it's a diphthong, but I've come to notice that in a really narrow transcription it would be [7U] or [7_oU], because the onset, while definitely back, is unrounded.)
Mike   Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:05 pm GMT
<<I pronounce them as [poUn], [poUnd], rhyming with "own", "owned".>>

Didn't "pwn" and "pwned" actually originate as misspellings of "own" and "owned"?
Lazar   Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:06 pm GMT
Yes, they did.
FireFox   Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:13 pm GMT
<<(Just as a little side-note, I transcribe my "long-O" phoneme as [oU] to indicate that it's a diphthong, but I've come to notice that in a really narrow transcription it would be [7U] or [7_oU], because the onset, while definitely back, is unrounded.)>>

I'm curious as to where you're from, because I'm from central New England and have a very similar pronunciation for my long-o.
Lazar   Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:21 pm GMT
I'm from central Massachusetts.
FireFox   Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:23 pm GMT
<<I'm from central Massachusetts.>>

That makes sense, considering our similar pronunciations.
FireFox   Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:40 pm GMT
One thing to note, is that for me, the vowel in "coal" tends be more of a centering diphthong, and is noticibly different from that in "cone".
Lazar   Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:14 pm GMT
<<One thing to note, is that for me, the vowel in "coal" tends be more of a centering diphthong, and is noticibly different from that in "cone".>>

Yes, the same goes for me.
Guest   Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:53 pm GMT
The "p" is just an "o" with a stem so I pronounce them as own and owned.
Carthage   Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:43 am GMT
When I say them, they rhyme with "pawn" and "pawned", respectively.
Guest   Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:07 am GMT
>>Didn't "pwn" and "pwned" actually originate as misspellings of "own" and "owned"? <<

Because of the proximity of the "p" to the "o" on a keyboard.