British/American comparison stylebook/grammar

Guest   Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:22 am GMT
>US: "Write me!"
GB: "Write to me!" <

Could be an informal term.
Guest   Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:14 am GMT
Ash, one way to avoid these annoying usages is to avoid films, television and books from the offending area.

Out of sight, out of mind.
Guest   Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:27 am GMT
>>Ash, one way to avoid these annoying usages is to avoid films, television and books from the offending area.

Out of sight, out of mind.<<

Yeah, isolate yourself from the rest of the world, in other words.
Candy   Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:45 am GMT
<<Ever read Fowler, Candy? It's certainly not how I learnt it at school. >>

No, I haven't, but just about everybody I know says 'the public have...' or 'the England team have....'. I have no idea what you learned at school. How could I know that?
Guest   Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:51 am GMT
No, just from the bit which offends. It's quite easy, and you'll never have to tolerate a fractured vowel, a risible mispronunciation or an un-word again.
Guest   Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:31 am GMT
Candy, it was not my intention to get into an argument with you, but it was you, not I, who first mentioned how either of us learnt it at school, so your writing "I have no idea what you learned at school. How could I know that?" seems somewhat disingenuous, given that you were replying to my statement that I had learnt a different view from how you "learned it at school".

By the way, Fowler wrote "The King's English" and "Modern English Usage", and compiled the OED.

I don't doubt that "just about everybody you know" follows your example, but this forum is where differences and the reasons for and development of those differences is discussed. I am well aware that your usage is common throughout the UK at present, but what I asked is whether that usage is what is actually being taught NOW as being correct.

It was certainly considered as being extremely INcorrect in my day, which may well have preceded yours by some decades, and I am simply interested in learning when and why the change occurred, especially as all other Commonwealth Englishes, unusually, agree with American English in this respect.
Candy   Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:44 am GMT
I wrote <<I'm sure that's how I learned it at school>>. Notice the word 'I'? I said nothing at all about how other people learn it. I know who Fowler is, but have never read him. I've heard some British people say 'the team has...' or whatever. I've never said that nobody in the country says it like that! And I have no idea how it's taught, these days - it's been a (little!:) while since I was in the UK education system.
Chas   Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:08 am GMT
I'd suggest you give up, Guest. You're wasting your time trying to get a reasonable response.

For what it's worth, in my time at school in England, it was definitely "the team has", and "the teams have", which made sense to me. Still does.
Candy   Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:21 am GMT
From the Observer today:
<<England were level within five minutes after Corry had eschewed a kick at goal in favour of a kick to the corner.>>

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/sixnations2006/story/0,,1718364,00.html
Candy   Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:24 am GMT
Headline from the Times 2 days ago:
<<England search for edge while staying whiter than White>>

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,5581-2056025,00.html
Damian near Murrayfield   Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:27 am GMT
Scotland 18 - 12 England

Is that not just one wonderful sight for sore eyes??????

Just in case you missed it, I will repeat it in triplicate:

SCOTLAND 18 england 12
SCOTLAND 18 england 12
SCOTLAND 18 england 12

(with humblest apologies to Candy for the lower case bit...sorry, just couldnae help myself...)

I live within roaring distance of Murrayfield..it's literally just down the road....
Guest   Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:30 am GMT
From the Independent today:
<<But confidence alone does not win series. Performance does and this England have performed.>>

http://sport.independent.co.uk/cricket/article347751.ece

Yeah, my claim that the word 'team' usually takes a plural form in BrE is obviously an 'unreasonable response', Chas.
Candy   Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:31 am GMT
Great victory, Damian! Edinburgh must have been celebrating last night! I'm sure the roaring was very loud...but joyous! :-) Great for the Scots that the Scottish team HAVE beaten England.......
Candy   Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:38 am GMT
Quote from the Times article mentioned above:
<<England, the only unbeaten team in the RBS Six Nations Championship, are no better.>>

See? England ARE. Normal, everyday, BrE from respected newspapers.
mom2twoboys   Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:20 am GMT
Well, this has definitely taken an interesting turn. I guess this really means that nobody knows of a book that compares British and American grammatical terminology.

However, I have learned something very important: that Aussies treat collective nouns the way we do in the US. Important because I have students who will go to the US or to AUS, and I try to prepare them for grammatical differences they may encounter, but AUS grammar is something I'm not very knowledgeable (SP?) of. So this is one area I know, now! Hurrah!

Congrats to the Scots for beating England.

I'd like to know more differences between AUS/US/GBR grammar--this has been enlightening (though some of the bickering is a little silly).

M