British/American comparison stylebook/grammar

Guest   Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:56 am GMT
I'm just having a dig at the way some people learn English: textbook-style, needless vocab lists (from another thread)... If someone learning English can afford to be that fussy without consulting grammar books, then she's capable enough to go to the trouble of reading a few novels: comparing the principal usages of American and British authors.
Larissa   Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:41 pm GMT
"We use both of them all the time." ok but the most used is simple past, isn't it?
Larissa   Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:43 pm GMT
"I'm not sure where you all are getting the idea that we prefer "did" constructions over "have" constructions, 'cause that's just not the case." ok, ok, don't get angry!
Uriel   Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:35 pm GMT
"We use both of them all the time." ok but the most used is simple past, isn't it?

No. I'm just as likely to come home and ask "Have you fed the dogs already?" as I am to ask "Did you feed the dogs yet?" In fact, I'm probably more likely to use "have".
Alicia   Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:43 am GMT
Personally, I think that the "present perfect or past simple" thing is just a little bit of nonsense cooked up by Am/Br comparers who happened to run out of differences to point out and so made up one themselves!
truongchauus@yahoo.com   Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:46 am GMT
differences between Americans and British.How sre they difrent ?
Oprah, you go girl!   Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:16 pm GMT
They're so different it's mind blowing! It's as though the Americans speak Korean and the British speak Hindi. But Oprah is so good that she's able to interpret her British guests for her American and international audiences.
Uriel   Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:04 pm GMT
I know! Gosh, whenever Rick Johnson or Damian post anything, I have to get out the dictionary to decipher it! It's just terrible!
Candy   Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:29 pm GMT
<<I know! Gosh, whenever Rick Johnson or Damian post anything, I have to get out the dictionary to decipher it! It's just terrible! >>

<sarcasm alert> And I have absolutely no idea what Uriel posted here. Doesn't look anything like English to me. </sarcasm alert>
Damian in Dun Eidann   Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:31 pm GMT
***I know! Gosh, whenever Rick Johnson or Damian post anything, I have to get out the dictionary to decipher it! It's just terrible!***

Hee hee! .. mission accomplished.....easier than writing in some kind of Enigma code. Just be grateful I havenae yet learned to write in Gaelic....that would kittle ye truelins! :-)
mom2twoboys   Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:53 am GMT
Hi Alicia--I have always assumed that is what the Roadshow programs were saying (they are, after all, trying to sell a service). My Cantonese is very limited--I can understand more than I can speak, but even that is not at all impressive! My Putonghua has slipped to the point that it's embarassing (haven't used it in 12 years), but it does help me to figure out the Guangdonghua that is very similar (or if I can see it in writing AND know the traditional character, not very likely!).

The problem I've always had as an English teacher is that people really are not all that interested in helping me with my Guangdonghua or Putonghua because they are more interested in my helping them with English. And with 2 young boys, I just don't have the free time to run off to the Y to take lessons! (we live in Clearwater Bay, so it's quite a commute to "downtown.")

Our school also has F6 and F7, but I've never taken the time to look through prep papers or exams. All I know is that I've been told time and again that students generally don't learn English or Chinese very well in the HK schools.

BTW, what level do you teach? Do you use phonics?

M
courtney   Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:29 am GMT
crap site
Guest   Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:00 am GMT
>Am/Br comparers who happened to run out of differences to point out

Not likely to happen, with another hundred or so new examples every day.
Alicia   Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:57 am GMT
Hello, mom2twoboys

There's something fundamentally wrong with the way languages are taught in HK local schools. I can't exactly lay a finger on it, but I think it's something to do with an over-emphasis on theory and not practice. (Same goes for Chinese.) Personally, I think the exam papers are a meaningless travesty but they're what parents want, apparently.

Clearwater Bay? Haha, I live near there (Tseung Kwan O) and study right by there. I'm not an English teacher, but a first-year Biochem undergrad at HKUST who previously attended an ESF school.

My mother tongue is Putonghua and I, too, use my knowledge of Putonghua to assist in my understanding of Cantonese.
mom2twoboys   Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:44 pm GMT
Yeah--you're about 10 minutes away. Cool.

I have heard of the problems with Chinese as well as English here. I know my students know much less about Chinese than my mainland Chinese students when I taught there 12 years ago.

BTW, my students are those who didn't score enough passes on F5 to go to F6 but still want to study in school. As you can guess, if they didn't score enough passes to move on, their English levels generally aren't high to begin with (though we have some who had C's and B's in English--just not in math and science or whatever). Really interesting situation. I enjoy it a lot.

M