Can I be a lawyer in the States even if I have an accent?

Serge   Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:46 pm GMT
Hi,

My name is Sergei. I came here to the US when I was 16 and now I'm in university thinking of career paths. My gpa is decent ,good enough for all the professional schools.
I was thinking of maybe becoming a lawyer but I have a thick Russian accent. I'm understood by all but the first question they usually ask is "Are you Russian?" My writing is pretty good. I'm kinda like the writer Joseph Conrad who had excellent English writing skills but a heavy Polish accent.
Do you think I could become a semi successful lawyer here in the States? Will I be treated seriously by people? Or should I just forget about it and choose some other career? Do you think accent elimination classes would rid me of the accent I have?
Tiffany   Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:36 pm GMT
I think people in general are uncomfortable around people who are perceived as strangers - this includes people who speak with an accent as they are often seen as having one up on strangers - they are perceived as not only strangers, but strangers from another country.

To answer your question: no. I know a few lawyers who have foreign accents. Heavy accents though are never good as it impedes understanding. The heaviness I'd say would more likely be your downfall, just because no one wants a lawyer they cannot understand. You need not eliminate your accent, just make sure other people can understand you.
Guest   Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:57 pm GMT
>The American people are suspicious of people who talk with foreign accents; you can't avoid that. However I think a foreign accent would still have little if any impact on your ability to practice law in the United States as long as you are qualified and licensed. <

Wouldn't other people from other countries think this way too?
Tiffany   Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:20 am GMT
My point exactly...
Stan   Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:02 am GMT
<< Can I be a lawyer in the States even if I have an accent? >>

Well, let me think...ofcourse you can!. You just have to be prepared to confront a lot of rejection and prejudice. If you're willing to go through a lot of frustrations (as a second class lawyer) then; by all means - try.

If indeed you are as good your self portrayal, I see no reason why you can't make a great lawyer in Russia, you should be happy to work in country you're certain of attaining respect, accolade and appreciation. If you insist on the US, then, you should be told the truth (in blunt terms) - they (Americans) don't want you in their court rooms; but will never admit that. They are never comfortable with people with heavy accents, eventually you'll be forced to learn to speak the way they do, if you hope to succeed as a lawyer.
Tiffany   Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:55 am GMT
Wow Stan! Irrational hatred for the US? What enlightened country are you from? It's too bad I know successful lawyers with foreign accents. I guess they must be anomalies.
american nic   Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:29 am GMT
May I ask, Sergei, why you have such a strong accent? I mean, would it be difficult to tone it down a bit and sound a bit more native? I'm not trying to be mean, there are many foreigners in every occupation in the US, but realistically you will be more successful if you work on your accent. Good luck!
Serge   Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:23 am GMT
>May I ask, Sergei, why you have such a strong accent? I mean, would it be difficult to tone it down a bit and sound a bit more native? I'm not trying to be mean, there are many foreigners in every occupation in the US, but realistically you will be more successful if you work on your accent. Good luck! <

The situation of Tom, the administrator of this website, shows that anything is possible. I guess I'm just gonna have to attempt to minimize the accent I have.
Uriel   Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:51 am GMT
I've worked with plenty of people with foreign accents in the US and nobody hated them. I think you need to pipe the fuck down, Stan; you're getting awfully tiresome lately.
Guest   Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:13 am GMT
What the hell is an accent got to do with the sucess of a court trial?

I rather have a lawyer with an accent who knows how to get what I (the client) want from the courts than some native lawyer who lacks the brains to successfully defend or sue.
advogado   Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:21 am GMT
>The American people are suspicious of people who talk with foreign accents; you can't avoid that. However I think a foreign accent would still have little if any impact on your ability to practice law in the United States as long as you are qualified and licensed<

Bull5hit !

In N.Y. Miami, L.A. 45% of lawyer have foreign accents, also very rich and successful.

As a Multilingual lawyer your success is even more promising...
advogado   Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:28 am GMT
Tip ! “immigration lawyer” a huge opportunity for a bilingual lawyer.

Russian “visitors” future Americans, thru your “immigration law services”. The mother Russia and its citizens, can make you rich in the USA.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:08 am GMT
The United States is a democratic country and it's very existence as a melting pot is made up of of people from all over the world ever since 1776. Tt would be a bit weird to suggest that "an accent" would be a hindrance to advancement in the legal field, or any other occupation, but as in any other country there would be minimum standards of communication ability in the main Language of that country. In the United States that is English, even though it is apparently not the "official" Language.

Here in the UK, there is no reason why a person with all the legal qualifications it's possible to acquire to enter the field of law and yet speak with a regional accent. The thing is, though, it would be extremely difficult to function successfully if the accent is really strong (such as a very broad thick Scouse or Glasgow or Cockney accent) as it's vital that full comprehension operates on all sides. I know for a fact that most professionals (legal or whatever) here in Edinburgh have a distinct local accent, but it's modified and soft and understood by everyone, whether local or not. Some accents are perceived as "educated" because standard non colloquial English is used, whereas some are not, even if similar standard English is used, so prejudice does exist. So, in practice, you don't really find any professional people here who have such very strong regional accents. Furthermore, Estuary would be out the window, that's for sure. That's just the way it is, and my guess is that it's most probably the same in America.
Cheeky Girl   Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:36 pm GMT
It's not a question of accent but rather more of acceptance in your area of practice to succed in your field of expertise. Been reading the threads and as far as my understanding capability is concerned, some pointed out valid issue like "relatively unknown person would start selling their services and these are met with suspicions by locals," or perhaps the ability of the listener to understand and follow your train of thoughts, main point is, speaking ability should be internationally accepted and recognized. Meaning, good diction, good choice of words, ability to express and articulate but no too verbose that your listener would get lost to what you are trying to say.
Mike   Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:42 pm GMT
Whatever happened to "freedom of speech," I thought we Americans love that. How come whenever someone mentions anything negative about America, you people are too quick to chew him up. Why not just open your minds and try to see things from a different perspective, afterall none of you seem to have suffered from a little prejudice, so when someone mentions it why not "shut the fuck up" and try to listen.

There is discrimintation in every country, and America not exempted, so rather than chew up the guy who mentions it, I would be happy if anyone said "its not rampant" in America. And whoever said there is hardly discrimination in democratic countries (laughable), what planet are you from?.

Stan might have been too hard in his choice of words, but there is "logic" in his words. Indeed, discrimination is an issue very few in America would like to talk about, the truth is that we all try to deny it, rather than discuss it.