Can I be a lawyer in the States even if I have an accent?

Guest   Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:21 am GMT
No one pronounces "beer" and "freer" to rhyme. Likewise, everyone rhymes "sour" and "power" and rhymes "coir" with "employer".
Godefroy de bouillon   Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:28 am GMT
well lawyer and liar + Bush are similar?
Travis   Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:14 am GMT
I myself have the non-rhyming pairs:

"liar" : ["La:I@`]
"lyre" : ["L@:I@`]

"beer" : ["bI:r\]
"freer" : ["fr\i:@`]

and the rhyming pairs:

"sour" : ["sa:U@`]
"power" : ["p_ha:U@`]

"coir" : ["k_ho:I@`]
"employer" : [I~:m"p_hL_0o:I@`]

>>No one pronounces "beer" and "freer" to rhyme. Likewise, everyone rhymes "sour" and "power" and rhymes "coir" with "employer".<<

You only show your ignorance by saying so. For individuals who do not have the nearer-mirror merger and who "break" tense vowels before /r/ or have centering diphthongs in places where /r/ had historically been, it is quite conceivable that "beer" and "freer" would be homophonic.
&#1491;&#1492;&am   Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:27 am GMT
צפ תנומ תתםװ עפמצרלכ?
Chamonix   Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:50 pm GMT
Whatever happened to "freedom of speech," I thought we Americans love that. How come whenever someone mentions anything negative about America, you people are too quick to chew him up. Why not just open your minds and try to see things from a different perspective, afterall none of you seem to have suffered from a little prejudice, so when someone mentions it why not "shut the fuck up" and try to listen. """

Mike , you are the only American who admited that, at least on this forum.
Guest   Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:07 am GMT
Because you're French, Chamonix. (Yes I've heard your accent and seen your writing mistakes in English that are typical of a nonnative). You'll always cry wolf while pretending not to be an outsider.
Kabayan   Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:26 am GMT
To Stan

Recently, I see some "Immigration to canada" advertisements on our national newspaper, complete with the requirements and the name of Immigration consultant.

My questions are :
1. Is it urgent for Canada to get more people by Immigration ?
2. Why don't Canada ask their neighboring countries to supply them with People ? :)
3. Don't they have a program like "Birth Rate Enhancement" ?
Guest   Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:20 am GMT
nobody wants to live in antartica aka Canada :) so cold to live in.
French Queen Fabiola Made   Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:10 pm GMT
Canada is great.Educated people in hightech society. No rednecks, no backward South.
Caught Cot Merger   Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:13 pm GMT
I say LAW [lA], LAWYER [lAj@r]
I don't change my A vowel that is I don't say LA, but LOJ@R
Stan   Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:20 am GMT
Chamonix,

Old friend, good to know you're around, I can say you were missed all this while, even though I've been absent for quite some time as well. Glad to have you back.
Stan   Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:49 am GMT
<< My questions are :
1. Is it urgent for Canada to get more people by Immigration ?
2. Why don't Canada ask their neighboring countries to supply them with People ? :)
3. Don't they have a program like "Birth Rate Enhancement" ? >>

Kabayan,

The situation of Canada is a little complex, but not as complex as that of the U.S. Unlike the U.S, Canada is a country with a lucid shortage of work force and unlike the U.S, there is no "bill" in parliament thats trying to deport hard working people, shut people out and build a mighty fence around the country. But both countries have a corporative market-oriented economic system and pattern of production, so whatever happens in the U.S inevitably affects Canada economically.

<< 1. Is it urgent for Canada to get more people by Immigration ? >>

If a country has a shortage of work force; its always urgent to get more people. About 30 million people, for the world's second largest country in total area - ofcourse there'll be a shortage of work force if there is going to be an increase in GDP, and if the dying rural economy is going to to be sustained or survive. For a country with such size; to rely on its industrial and urban economy is simply wasteful; that's never a good thing.

<< 2. Why don't Canada ask their neighboring countries to supply them with People ? :) >>

Canada has one official neighbor: the U.S.A (not exactly a good neighbor), now you can imagine why requesting for labour force from this "neighbor" is certainly out of the question. Americans like to pretend that their country is better than Canada when infact; the opposite is the case.

<<3. Don't they have a program like "Birth Rate Enhancement" ? >>

I must confess, I've never given that a thought (as funny as it sounds). The earth is over populated as it is, and from all analysis, that would only create problems in the future. A little example is that; since about 80% of the population live in the province of Ontario, "Birth Rate Enhancement" will primarily "enhance" the population of that province - leading to the complications of sustaining and crafting social programs like welfare, medicare etc. How do you begin to work out a plan that will work for the whole country, considering the sizable imbalance that will certainly be the result of the "Birth Rate Enhancement" - except you give the provinces more independence...which I strongly oppose because of its eventual repercussions and ramifications. There are programs on board but none specifically having close affiliations to "Birth rate enhancement."

Most of those Canadians you'll find in Ontario (a province that solely depends on its thriving industrial economy) are somewhat oblivious to the details of these issues, to fully comprehend this very matter, you'll have to take a trip with me to such province as Nova Scotia, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick, Alberta, and the likes - then you'll get a better picture of the points I'm trying to relate.

Thank you.
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:05 am GMT
Ide love to move to Canada, looks and sounds like a great country! Would they let me become a mountie? I loved Due South as a kid.

Russia on the other hand does actualy have a terrible population problem, by 2050 the population will have halfed! one in three babys are born with serious complications, with Deaths outstripping Births on top. Not looking too good for Russia. I think it might be right that the collapse of the Soviet Union could be the biggest human disaster ever. Yet I dont see Putin doing anythig about poverty and endemic AIDs in his own country. Terrible.
Uriel   Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:09 pm GMT
Oh, please -- Canada has its share of hicks and rednecks.

And Stan, if you were paying attention, you would know that the US thrives on its illegal immigration labor, and there is currently a movement to give those people legal status.
Chamonix   Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:30 pm GMT
Stan,

How ur doin'?
Glad to see you name on the board....