Why learn english?

someone   Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:22 pm GMT
As a matter of fact I just ask myself why learn english? Why should we learn english? Why should we unficied whole world, with drink Coca and eating Fast food? Why should we try to look like others? Why should we try to learn english but for americans there is no obligation to learn foreign languages?
hmm   Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:53 pm GMT
you don't have too learn english if you don' want.......
why drink coke?? 'cause its good :) <3 why learn english? so you can speak with other people almost everywhere!(im not good in english...)
someone   Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:01 pm GMT
to 'talk' , and what about, soon every country will loose it national identify, because of that influence.
Sander   Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:11 pm GMT
=>As a matter of fact I just ask myself why learn english? Why should we learn english? Why should we unficied whole world, with drink Coca and eating Fast food? Why should we try to look like others? Why should we try to learn english but for americans there is no obligation to learn foreign languages? <=

I can understand where you're comming from,nevertheless there's a lot of bullshit in your post,English does not represent the idea of a unified world,neither that of Coca Cola or fast-food.

Americans don't learn other languages because a lot of people know how to speak,at least a bit of,English,also a lot of Americans have a low level of education.(prove me wrong)

The world wide domination of English over other languages is more of an illusion.For me ,English is just a tool,I get no special feeling when i hear it,something I do get with all the others.Its just a simple,easy language which you use to comunicate.When you see that,then you just laugh when an native English speaker braggs about English being no.1.

But lets turn things around,what if your language was what English is now,would you bother to learn another language? ;)
someone   Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:23 pm GMT
quote:'I can understand where you're comming from,nevertheless there's a lot of bullshit in your post,English does not represent the idea of a unified world'
no no the idea all nations to speak one language is rather stupid, because soon they will lose their national identify and they will be only but imitators of something which is not their own national identity. Look around if you are not american and just try to count advertisement on the street which are in english, look around too see how many national good restourant were left after McDonalds invasion, look people around you - most of them wear jeans and drink coca. So I think that yes, english is good for communication, but on the other side every nation must have it's own identity.
Sander   Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:27 pm GMT
Where are you from?

And I still don't see the link between food,clothes and advertisement and English...
someone   Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:37 pm GMT
there is a link which is called 'know your own language', know your national identity, do not allow to worship other language and other tradition, but your own.
greg   Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:45 pm GMT
Je suis assez d'accord avec Sander : l'anglais est une langue-outil, sauf pour ceux dont c'est l'idiome maternel. La mondialisation des 'idées' et des modes de vie à l'oeuvre aujourd'hui peut être remise en cause dès demain matin : notre monde est dangereux et tout peut changer rapidement. Y compris le recours à l'anglais.
Damian in English Speakin   Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:53 pm GMT
**As a matter of fact I just ask myself why learn english?**

While you're asking yourself that question you may as well ask yourself these posers as well:

1) What level of pressure are you under to learn English?

2) How will learning English improve your life?

3) How do you feel about the perceived status of English in the
world today?

4) Do you have any feelings of resentment toward English or
English speaking countries?

5) Do you have strong anti American opinions?

6) Do you have strong anti British opinions?

If the prospect of learning the English Language (or improving your current proficiency in it) fills you with the same level of negativity as displayed in your opening post, then what's the point in proceeding any further involvement with it?

Just diss it out of hand and carry on as you are in your own Langauge, whatever that may be, or in any other Language you find more amenable and less likely to corrupt your lifestyle in any unsavoury way.

Remember....in our free societies (assuming yours is the same) everything revolves around free will and personal choices. Nobody in any native English speaking country would dream of imposing our Language on you against your will. Just do your own thing, mate, and chill out ffs.
g Scotland   Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:54 pm GMT
Continuation.......forgot in my haste that the whole screed won't fit in. Cheers.
Sander   Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:19 pm GMT
Someone,

=>there is a link which is called 'know your own language', know your national identity, do not allow to worship other language and other tradition, but your own. <=

If you have a culture with no foreigh things in it.Ill eat my clothes.
Cro Magnon   Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:15 pm GMT
<=Americans don't learn other languages because a lot of people know how to speak,at least a bit of,English,also a lot of Americans have a low level of education.(prove me wrong)=>

Americans don't learn other languages because we don't NEED to learn other languages. It has nothing to do with our level of education. A European can drive a relatively short distance and suddenly people are speaking a different language. An American can go thousands of miles and people still speak English.
Guest   Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:26 pm GMT

Location: In my own little, strange, world. Its better that way I find.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chat between US and UK guys.....
The (not so uncommon it seems) classic:

Local Yokel: "Hi, so where ya'll from?"
Me: "England"
Local Yokel: "How long ya been here?"
Me: "Oh, er, about 6 months or so."
Local Yokel: "Wow! well you have picked up English really well haven't ya"
Me: "Yes, thank you. I believe I have."
Local Yokel: 'So..what language do you guys speak over there then?"
Me: "English."
Local Yokel: <brief silence> "Really? What sort?"
Me: "The original sort. Bye bye"
greg   Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:28 pm GMT
Cro Magnon a écrit : "Il n'y a pas de facteur qui POUSSE les Américains à apprendre d'autres langues".

C'est vrai. Sauf peut-être que l'émergence de l'espagnol au sein des États-Unis peut se transformer en abcès de fixation. Surtout sous la pression de puissants mouvements migratoires continus issus de pays frontaliers ou du même continent.
Sander   Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:37 pm GMT
=>Americans don't learn other languages because we don't NEED to learn other languages. It has nothing to do with our level of education. A European can drive a relatively short distance and suddenly people are speaking a different language. An American can go thousands of miles and people still speak English.<=

LOL,a chance to prove my statement,Cro magnon.I can drive,fly,swim,walk millions of trillions of kilometers and people still speak Dutch :)