English school in London

Compare   Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:29 am GMT
Hi All,
I need an advice about a good school in London. Does anyone can suggest me a very good one?
I'd appreciate also to know if there are well known bad schools I should avoid.

Thank you.

Sama
Ben   Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:13 pm GMT
Are you looking for secondary education? As a student?

Ben.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:13 pm GMT
I suspect from your equiry that you are a student of English, and that you want to study in London (of course, as you said, and at a "good school" - there are plenty of those in the great Metropolis). That's exactly what London is - a great Metropolis and quite honestly your enquiry was a wee bit too general. Greater London is made up of a whole load of boroughs, each with an average population of about 350,000 people and each borough controls education facilities along with everything else, following statutory Central Government policy, of course.

Check out this website. If you click on any of the boroughs on the map you'll get all the information on that borough, including education in a sub link.

ttp://www.brent.gov.uk/www.nsf/0/243a9cb5fefb81e580256a560055e414?OpenDocument

The British Council is an organisation that assists people from abroad wishing to avail themselves of educational facilities anywhere in the United Kingdom, including London, of course.

http://www.educationuk.org/

Hope this comes somewhere close to helping you out, Compare. Just click and compare.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:17 pm GMT
Sorry! I chopped a letter off the start of the link! Try this one for a better fit?

http://www.brent.gov.uk/www.nsf/0/243a9cb5fefb81e580256a560055e414?OpenDocument
Compare   Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:16 pm GMT
Thank you for the links.

Actually the school is not for me (I gave up trying to learn English years ago).
A friend of mine ,who have no internet connection, would like to find a 3 months course in London to improve her English.

Thanks again for the help

Sama
Laura Braun   Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:12 pm GMT
It's a waste of money to go to London to study english. If your friend wants to learn english she can study at home with the same way as she study in english-speaking country. It not depends on where you study, but it depends on how much efforts she puts on her learning. Three months are not enough for learning foreign language. Learning is for life-time. She can get some language skills for three months....and that's all. There are so many diferent courses in which she can learn with the same result as in London.
Uriel   Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:43 pm GMT
Actually, a full-immersion course can teach you a lot in an amazingly short period of time. I knew a girl who spent a year in Denmark. She went there not knowing a word of Danish, and in 5 months she was conversational. When you HAVE to learn it (in self-defense), you will!
Ben   Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:07 pm GMT
I agree with Uriel. The fastest way to learn any language is imersion. Living in the country is the best thing you could do, IMO.

Ben.
Boy   Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:41 pm GMT
What Uriel and Ben had said above was contrary to what Tom believed in. According to him, it's a myth if you go to a native speaking country and get fluent in the English language for granted. For instance, take my elder brother's example. He had been in America like for 12 years and he had such a meager vocabulary(I could give him a run for his money in this regard) and there are some mistakes he makes in subject-verb-agreement when he speaks. The only thing he has improved a lot that is his accent. No native speaker will have a hard time in understanding him. Please excuse me, he has been making silly grammar mistakes after living 12 years in a native speaking country. When will he learn to speak flawless English?

On the other side, when he listened to my English first time after several years. He had told me that I'd be accomplishing the kind of fluency within a year what he had accomplished over a period of 12 years if i had the opportunity to live in the USA. The reason is simple, he doesn't like reading books and newspapers. He doesn't like watching English programmes. Blame this due to time constraints or his lack of interest in the language. I do all these stuff on a regular basis but he doesn't, so tell me who will make rapid progress?

One more example, a guy who lives after three doors next to my house. He had completed a two year degree at one of New York's community colleges. Me, my friends, and he had a vocabulary competition a month ago or so and I beat him hands down. He thought that I had spent some time in one of native speaking countries that's why I had a good vocabulary but that wasn't the case. There was also a competition of speaking on a topic for three minutes at length and here I also had left an indellible impression on him and my folks. In addition to this, I am a reclusive/self learner and all my learning was done in seclusion, in the environs of my home.

It beats me how people are unable to speak the language flawlessly after spending a huge amount of time in the native speaking country. The only reason I can think of is they don't do self-study.
Boy   Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:01 pm GMT
A week ago I had met a guy who was also English learning on his own. I was taken aback by his fluency. He spoke like a native speaker. He was very fluent like one of those news broadcasters. I asked him what he actually did to improve his English. He told me that he used to read newspapers out loud for hours and listened to BBC a lot but he had continued doing all these activities on a regular basis. To be honest, he was more fluent than me. I think he is a perfect case of self learning.

What do you guys think not all learners are good self-learners? For the majority of learners, going to one of English speaking countries for the sake of learning the language is an expensive deal. Not everyone can afford it.
Rick   Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:38 pm GMT
You Have To Choose a School in Amsterdam (Holland) The Have The Best Schools of the whole world.

No Joke
Alicia   Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:54 am GMT
Bravo, Mr. Boy.