The 8 "imperial" Languages

JR   Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:05 am GMT
>>At least here in the European Union, such 'economic influence' has little or no impact on people's decision to learn English, yet something like 90% of (non-English-speaking) EU schoolchildren are currently learning English (I don't have the exact figures, but it's something like that), and around 50% of the EU population already speaks English. How would you account for this? Given that such a huge percentage of children are learning English, do you think the language is going to fade in the EU anytime soon?<<

First thing's first, no I do not think that English will fade from use in the EU anytime soon. Secondly, I did not mean to make it seem that the economic success of English speaking countries was the only reason for the English language's widespread use, only one reason, but an important one.

The economic influence of the U.K and the U.S. mainly, is what makes English a very useful language, which is the main appeal with all of the non-native speakers I have talked to. As we enter the digital age, computers and the internet are becoming increasingly more imporant, in fact, they are crutial to our society, we cannot function without them. Take a look at the internet, (I've heard figures ranging from as low as 30% to as high as 80%, but I believe a figure...)around 50% of its pages are written in English. And software, you cannot deny that the VAST majority of software has English interface. Some of the more important programs, such as the Microsoft Office package, are translated internationally, but most of it is not. HTML code is written in English. Not to mention the cultural impact of the United States, blasting thousands of English language channels into the airwaves, CDs being sold in many countries, sung in English. All of this is possible because of its economic power.

Spanish has by far more native speakers than English, yet there are no Spanish language software giants, no Spanish-only international pop stars, nothing like that, because Spanish speaking countries have not had as much economic success as English.
-   Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:07 am GMT
I agree that English is spoken by many as a second language because of its economic value. The 19th century was the century of united kingdom while the 20th century was the century of the US. Both country use English.The 18th century was the century of france so French remains popular today although not as popular as english. The next language of the 21st century is most likely to be Chinese or Spanish because of the rise of Latin America and China. You may ask what about Hindi and India. Hindi is not very likely as it is spoken by less than half of India and because India has so many different languages with no unified writing system unlike Chinese. Chinese(mandarin) is the sole official language of China and is the language of instruction in all schools in China(not dialects like cantonese). While Hindi is not the sole official language in India and is taught as a second language along side with many other Indian languges(taught as first language) in different provinces.
Mitch   Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:26 am GMT
Chinese wrote "But this website also has some falsehoods, for example: Republic of China doesn't exist, it should be Taiwan province of China (P.R.China). "

That is not a "falsehood." The PRC may look at Taiwan as a "renegade province," and you are entitled to share that opinion. But that is a political difference of opinion, not a falsehood. The "Republic of China" has been functioning quite well on Taiwan for over half a century. Until the issue is settled by the Chinese people themselves (and most Taiwanese would hate to be under the present regime on the mainland), each side can hold to their own political views--again, not falsehoods.
-   Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:21 pm GMT
Taiwan IS a province of China, no doubt about that! It is the truth, recognised by the whole world. I guess if your country has a province which wants to declare independence, you will still regard it as part of your country and not say each side can hold to their own political view!
Mitch   Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:45 pm GMT
The government on Taiwan also considers Taiwan a province of China--they just don't recognize the legitimacy of the Communist regime. As for "the whole world"--there are still a few countries that recognize the Republic of China, not the People's Republic.

Whether one likes it or not, there is a longstanding, functioning government on Taiwan that goes by the name of the Republic of China, and is supported by the majority of the inhabitants there over the People's Republic.

Note: for a long time, the official term for Beijing ("Northern capital") was Beiping ("Northern Peace" usually written Peiping in Wade-Giles transcription). To them, saying that the capital was there was also a "falsehood." Another "difference of opinion" politically.

Again, whether one likes the "Republic of China" or recognizes it, such a government exists. The "Republic of Korea" and "People's Republic of Korea" have a similar situation.
-   Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:26 am GMT
No, the new Taiwan government, from year 2000, is moving the island towards independence.
When I say whole world, I mean UN and internationally. But officially, there is no such country as Republic of China, it is not recognised by the international community, other than a handful of countries in Africa.
greg   Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:17 pm GMT
Un autre lien intéressant pour ceux qui aiment les comparaisons chiffrées : http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm .
Tan   Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:25 pm GMT
If Taiwan wishes to seek a different direction, the right of self-determination should exist. Woodrow Wilson's '14 Points' in the wake of the Treaty of Versailles have perfectly elucidated the questions surrounding the aspirations of people wishing to assert their individuality in the light of a different language and customs.

Does the CCP respect the legitimate grievances of her ethnic minorities? How is Tibet treated by the Government at large? Are regional tongues such as Cantonese or Hakka promoted or quietly suppressed?

Since China takes such a Northern-centric view with regards to her provinces, why should Taiwan, with a vibrant local culture, choose to submit on bended knees to the autocratic excesses of Beijing? The next thing we hear, learning Taiwanese in schools would be banned by the wags at the capital on grounds that 'it threatens Marxist doctrine, promotes subversive ideas, blah blah blah'.

I'm sick of the Chinese Government. It did not even make an attempt to protect her heritage at the height of the Cultural Revolution.
-   Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:46 pm GMT
I don think the chinese government is trying to unify the country by having a unified national language. It is obvious that the chinese government wants dialect to be history. It is not a secret!
Woodrow Wilson is a Westerner, he should look at his own western countries who colonised the world! What are looted ancient treausures of asian countries doing in Western countries?
How is Tibet treated, I would ask you how did the West treat those countries they colonised? Don't forget how the West wiped out the aboriginal populations in their colonies!
Taiwanese is NOT taught in taiwan schools, mandarin is. The taiwan government promotes the use of mandarin.
Is cantonese being supressed in Hong Kong, I don't think so. Ironically, schools in Hong Kong are switching from english to cantonese after 1997.
China was trying to destroy it the "bad, old culture' during the cultural revolution so how could it make an attempt to protect it?
-   Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:48 pm GMT
Sorry, I meant "I think the chinese government is trying to unify the country by having a unified national language."
Tan   Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:32 pm GMT
That's why I am sick of those Mandarin speakers who lord all over the country like little imperial tyrants. You presume that every Chinese must speak Mandarin. That, my little Marxist comrade, is a most ridiculous misconception. Don't be so convinced of your self-rectitude.

You aren't au fait with Taiwanese affairs. If you must know, a bill has been tabled and approved that Taiwanese schools must devote a few hours of lessons per week to the teaching of 'local languages', it being defined as any of the aboriginal lingos, Hokkien or Hakka.

Don't talk to me about the Cultural Revolution when so many temples were ransacked, priceless artefacts destroyed while ancient cultural monuments pillaged. Don't talk to me about the 'destruction' of the Old Culture or 推 陈 出 新.

That's arrant nonsense. Communist propoganda. Even the official CCP line has repudiated the Cultural Revolution as a 'mistake' and that to acknowledge it as beneficial is to be impervious to the trail of damage it has wrought.

What does it matter if in the course of western imperialism, native cultures have been displaced wholescale? Two wrongs do not make a right. It does not give the Chinese Government any licence to do the same in Tibet or Xinjiang. And I thought we Chinese have the moral ability to rise above that.
Kendra   Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:27 pm GMT
''One must remember that there is no one Chinese language''

Likewise, one must remember that there isno one Portuguese language.

Portugal-made books and movies need to be translated and/or dubbed to be able to be sold in Brazil.
JR   Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:27 pm GMT
That to me, is sad.
CHINESE   Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:47 am GMT
Mr. TAN,

If you want to condemn Chinese government, you can always find out a charge, even if what you said sounds very ridiculous and irresponsible.
CHINESE   Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:58 am GMT
Mr. TAN,

In Chinese, it's regarded as 欲加之罪, 何患无词? You're every inch monomania and rumormonger, just go to hospital to check your brain!