French vs Italian vs Spanish vs Portuguese vs Chinese

Gringo   Mon May 22, 2006 1:53 pm GMT
correction :
[Celtiberians: Problems and Debates by Francisco Burillo Mozota
http://www.uwm.edu/Dept/celtic/ekeltoi/volumes/vol6/index.html
]
greg   Mon May 22, 2006 5:27 pm GMT
L'ancien français avait des diphtongues nasales.
greg   Mon May 22, 2006 5:35 pm GMT
Brennus : faudrait faire le ménage sur « Latin dialects ».
a.p.a.m.   Mon May 22, 2006 6:02 pm GMT
When the Romans conquered the Gauls in Cisalpine Gaul (Northern Italy), was there a substantial remnant of Celts in Northern Italy after they were conquered? I believe it was the Roman historian Strabo who proclaimed that the entire Po Valley was virtually devoid of Celts after they were couquered in 191 B.C. I believe it was Strabo who said that the Boiian Gauls left the region of what is now Bologna, Modena , and Parma, and when they left, they emigrated to Bohemia in what is now the Czech Republic. There is a lot of evidence that reveals that the Romans heavily colonized Cisalpine Gaul by a process known as Centuriation, but I've also read that a significant amount of Gauls remained after they were conquered by Rome. Can anybody tell me what the truth is regarding this matter?
Karl   Tue May 30, 2006 12:49 pm GMT
The language that we use internationally is determined by economic factors and the dominance of a particular country at a given time. Also, web technology is driving "communication" and the language we use. Currently the USA; its influence on the Web and IT generallly has put English at the fore. I was on holidays in France recently, and whilst the French (and rightly so) are very protective of their culture and langauge, I found French people switching to Engish more liberally than in the past, and indeed quite keen to continue conversation in English or quasi-English. It is obvious that multi-media, digital technology, primarily sourced from the English speaking world is having a dominant effect globally. Something I am not in favour of.
Nun Es   Wed May 31, 2006 10:13 am GMT
Brennus,

Excuse me but your knowledge of geography looks funny, the Alps aren't in the East-central of France except if you consider Nice for being in East-Central for example....
a.p.a.m.   Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:31 pm GMT
In the far north of Italy (the Alpine valleys), The Celts continued to live on. But as far as the lower elevations (Po Valley) it seems that those lands were heavily colonized by the Romans when you consider numerous evidence of Roman Centuriation especially south of the Po River.
Jacyra   Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:15 am GMT
''Except the consonant ñ, that is the same as Portuguese nh and French ng, and is considered of Celtic origin, no other Spanish language has the same nasal vowels. '' (by Gringo)

Gringo, please get updated. NH is, in Brazilian Portuguese (90% of all speakers of Portuguese) pronounced as a NASAL GLIDE (that is Y as in English word YES said nasally). It it is a totally vocalic sound, it is not consonant like in French/Italian (gn) or Spanish ñ:

tenho ['te~y~u] (both e and y said nasally)
tem [te~y~]
piranha [pi'rãy~a]

Because NENHUM (none) and NEM UM (not a) are pronounced in the same way, many Brazilians have difficulties...When to write nenhum, when to write nem um. Both are pronounced [ne~y~ u~].

So, your statement that NH is pronounced like GN is French is not true.
Thaïs Cristófaro Silva in ''Fonética e fonologia de Português'' and Mario Perini in ''Modern Portuguese'' strongly disagree with you.
Gringo   Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:37 am GMT
According to some authors there are three ways of pronouncing NH in Brazil:
1) the nasal glide [y as in york, spoken nasally]
2) as the Spanish ñ , and gn in French/Italian)
3) the [n] + [y] sequence like (ni in onion)

But, Jacyra what a surprise!Why do you say now that you speak Portuguese? You no longer speak Brazilian? And by the way, the comment was about Celtic influence in the Portuguese language not in Brazilian. Was there a celtic influence in Brazilian? You keep behaving like a saci.
Mario   Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:15 pm GMT
Non ho l'età
Non ho l'età per amarti
Non ho l'età per uscire sola con te
E non avrei
Non avrei
Nulla da dirti
Perché, tu sai
Molte più cose di me

Lascia che io viva
Un amore romantico
Nell' attesa
Che venga quel giorno
Ma ora no

Non ho l'età
Non ho l'età per amarti

Se tu vorrai
Se tu vorrai
Aspettarmi
Quel giorno avrai
Tutto il mio amore per te

Lascia che io viva
Un amore romantico
Nell' attesa
Che venga quel giorno
Ma ora no

Non ho l'età
Non ho l'età per amarti

Se tu vorrai
Se tu vorrai
Aspettarmi
Quel giorno avrai
Tutto il mio amore per te
TOFFEE   Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:38 am GMT
I adore Italians and the Italian language.Please keep your language in safe, from foreign words, and foreign nations.Because i love your languages intonation, stress, word structure.I also adore the pronunciation of the language.It's the best of all.ITALIAN IS THE BEST LANGUAGE EVER!!! I'm an American, don't like own language, though.I wish I were able to learn and speak the language perfectly.
CHINESE   Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:30 am GMT
TOFFEE

I'm so happy to hear what you said, as much as I know, most of the Americans generally like to learn Spanish as their 2nd language, but you're really one of the Americans who prefer Italian to Spanish.

I adore Italian and Italian Culture very much, too.
Capuchino   Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:39 pm GMT
vamo na pizzaria

First you have to learn to to spell your Portuguese name:

"Vamos na pizaria".

"I an Portuguese an I adoro Italian pizza"

How many times I have to tell you, no, you are not Portuguese and you can not have pizza. Stop asking for people to give you pizza.
i dont kno   Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:09 pm GMT
It all depends: Here in America the language dats most studied is spnish so i think thats the most important
blah   Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:23 pm GMT
i wish i had a different language as my first language rather than english
english its just so boring
n the cutlture has no flavor in it
trust me i kno..wen i went to a differet hispanic family they were soo cool
it wasnt like the ordinary american english cutlture
they were "caliente" specially the guuys

GOD WHY COULDNT I BE BORN PUERTO RICAN, HISPANIC,, WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!