looking for a Brit's view of AE

Damian aus Schottland   Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:58 pm GMT
I've never personally heard anybody use the term Britisher. It sounds as if the Germans would use it more than anybody else.
Uriel   Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:34 pm GMT
...hmmm, with that "rum, sodomy, and the lash" reputation, they may have been full of protein, too.
Jim C, York   Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:41 am GMT
haha, Why is it the every one thinks that the British are all gay?? My Danish mate says its because we say please and thankyou all the time.
Maybe its because were more accepting of it?
A great story is of during WW2 a British MP was cought buggering some other guy completly naked in sub zero tempratures in a prickely hedge. When Chirchill was told he said something along the lines of "Its men like that who will win this war" meaning how tough they must have been to be out in that weather, so to speak.
Mr. Pepperoni   Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:43 am GMT
haha, because Germans would use it more than anybody else, so that's why British are all gay. Its men like that who will win this war, how tough they must have been to be out in that weather, so to speak.
Jim   Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:47 am GMT
I'm lurnin' Inglisch form Guest, thanks!
lu   Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:51 am GMT
"A great story is of during WW2 a British MP was cought buggering some other guy completly naked in sub zero tempratures in a prickely hedge. When Chirchill was told he said something along the lines of "Its men like that who will win this war" meaning how tough they must have been to be out in that weather, so to speak. "

That's really funny.
Jim   Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:55 am GMT
Also for me, guys!

Yes, yes, yes!

I love you, lu. You made me laugh.
lu   Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:00 am GMT
I made you laugh??
Why??
Damian in EH12   Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:10 am GMT
***...hmmm, with that "rum, sodomy, and the lash" reputation, they may have been full of protein, too***

I cannae stand rum, it tastes dreich...and I'm deffo not into the lashing scene.
Damian in EH12   Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:20 am GMT
I've not heard that Churchill quote before but I would guess it's 100% true from what we've learned about that bloke. It's common knowledge that liquid courage was behind some of his British bulldog bravado during the dark days of WW2 Battlefront Britain.....but no doubt he'd have been just as bullish if he'd have been dead cold sober. Apparently he was one of those guys who could sup and sup his Napolean brandy but still remain totally upright and compos mentis.

There was this story about Churchill during WW2 during the bombing blitzes on Britain. It was late at night and he was heading for his hotel room when he met this sour hatched face woman in the corridor who screeched out: Mr Churchill...you are drunk!" He turned to her, smiled, and said: "Madam, you are ugly, but in the morning I'll be sober!"
Jim C, York   Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:57 am GMT
Yeah thats one of my favourites. He was allright for a tory. oh yeah and apparently the "Rum, Sodemy,Lashings" quote wasn't Chirchill, I havn't been told who exactly it is though.
lu   Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:08 pm GMT
"Madam, you are ugly, but in the morning I'll be sober!"

Really smart answer
Uriel   Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:16 pm GMT
I don't know why the British are so often accused of an alternate lifestyle either -- they're no more so than any other population -- but it seems to be a common trend! I remember "Oh, he's not gay, he's just English" being a punchline in some movie or other. Perhaps in a cross-cultural sense all that politeness and reserve has come across as a bit dainty to outsiders. ;) You know, that politeness and reserve that most of you don't actually have -- aren't stereotypes fun?
Adam   Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:31 pm GMT
The British are good at keeping calm in a crisis, in situations when other nations would just panic.

If a British soldier loses a limb on a battlefield, he just mumbles: "Good Lord. That's jolly bad luck. Still, I mustn't grumble, Old Boy! I just hope we give these Germans a damn good whack!"

Take that British soldier who was awarded a rare George Cross last week for what he did in Iraq. In July 2005, he stepped on a mine, it blew off an arm and his leg and, apparently, the first thing he thought was: "Oh bugger."

Still, he didn't let the loss of 2 limbs get him down. Whilst being treated by medics, he directed another soldier to where the other mine may be hidden and it was defused, saving the lives of 8 other soldiers.
Jim C, York   Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:22 am GMT
The two first Englishmen to get married where from Leeds. When they where asked what they were going to do they said they where just going to go home have a cup of tea and go to sleep, because they where tired. Thats so British.