Sam   Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:33 am GMT
do we say :
1.What did you brought yesterday?
What did you buy yesterday?

2. I did meet this person
I did met this person

Thanks!
SpaceFlight   Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:08 pm GMT
It's ''what did you buy yesterday?'' and ''I did meet this person''.

''What did you brought yesterday?'' and ''I did met this person'' are incorrect, because they contain the past tense rather than the present tense.
Rick Johnson from England   Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:41 pm GMT
I think you meant bought rather than brought.

What did you buy yesterday?

I met this person (the "did" part is unnecessary)
Vienna   Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:53 am GMT
Why do you say

HOW DARE YOU and not

HOW DO YOU DARE?

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?
WHO KNOWS YOU?

Could you explain those WH questions?When do we use the verb TO DO and when we do not?

Much obliged.
Travis   Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:59 am GMT
One note about "dare" is that it does function as a modal verb, even though it is not used that commonly as such in, say, North American English, especially informal (that is, most) speech. Hence, it does undergo the same verb movement as modals like "could" and "would". Hence, "How dare you?" fits the same pattern as "How could you?" and "How would you?", and likewise *"How do you dare?" is ungrammatical in at least most NAE dialects just like *"How do you could?" and *"How do you would?".
Lilac   Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:04 am GMT
How do you dare call our players soft tarts :)
or
How do you dare to call our players soft tarts :)?
Uriel   Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:09 am GMT
More commonly it would be: How dare you call our players soft tarts? (And what the hell is a soft tart? Just how enraged should your players be?)
Ekko   Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:04 am GMT
"did" already places the remainder of the sentence in past tense, so bought should be in present tense.
aja   Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:43 pm GMT
does how do u do! like how are u
Deborah   Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:17 am GMT
aja, "How do you do?" does mean "How are you?" when "How are you?" is used as a greeting. In modern times, "How do you do?" is used only as a greeting, whereas "How are you?" is also used as a real question, requesting a real answer, not just a formal reply.
Candy   Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:53 am GMT
Just to add to what Deborah said: 'How do you do?' is becoming extremely formal these days and is not used so often - in my experience, anyway. As Deborah said, it's only a greeting, not a question, and can be answered by repeating 'how do you do?'
Deborah   Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:59 am GMT
Just to add to what Candy said: She's right -- "How do you do" is rare. In fact, I haven't actually heard anyone use it for years. I used to hear it when I was very young, but I'm more than half a century old, so that was quite a while ago.
Candy   Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:30 am GMT
Even among the stuffy British, it's becoming less common! :) "hey, how ya doing?" is used more often....
Mona   Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:36 pm GMT
yeah, how ya doin'?

ahm doin' just fahn :)
Candy   Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:15 pm GMT
Mona, what kind of accent is THAT?? :-)
South African??