"straight"

Guest   Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:59 am GMT
i don't quite understand this sentence,anybody helps me?
"I am a busy college student. My priorities are not as straight as they could be"
Guest   Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:23 am GMT
It means he thinks he doesn't have his priorities in order, that they need to be fixed in some way.
furrykef   Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:31 am GMT
<< It means he thinks he doesn't have his priorities in order, that they need to be fixed in some way. >>

Yep, that's correct.

<< I think he means he is gay >>

That's not very funny.

- Kef
busygirl   Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:34 am GMT
I seriously think the context might be sexual, "busy" indicates that
furrykef   Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:07 am GMT
No, I don't think so.
Guest   Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:15 am GMT
What you think does not affect the issue at hand, furrykef. You're the one who jumps around saying how everything is subjective.
Travis   Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:26 am GMT
Such is not sexual at all; all it means, as previously said, is that the speaker does not think their priorities in order.
Guest   Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:27 am GMT
Lol, I agree with furrykef, there is nothing sexual about the sentence.
Guest   Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:30 am GMT
You can only have an opinion about this issue since no one here has seen where this was taken from.
furrykef   Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:36 am GMT
Look, yes, it's possible for it to have a sexual connotation, but we would need more than that sentence alone to establish that. With no additional context, there's no particular reason to read a meaning like that into it.

Note that I don't think it's particularly meaningful that additional context could make it sound naughty. Additional context can make *anything* sound naughty, a fact that is exploited by comedians from time to time.

- Kef