clocks on the forum are stuffed

Guest   Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:19 pm GMT
huh...........
Uriel   Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:30 pm GMT
Greenwich Mean Time ... very mean time ... usually means "what the hell time is that?"
Guest   Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:40 pm GMT
> Greenwich Mean Time ... very mean time ... usually means "what the hell time is that?"

More widely known abroad as UTC
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:27 am GMT
Its British Summer time at the moment (i know, its a contradiction in terms!) so clocks are forward an hour.
lu   Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:00 am GMT
"clocks on the forum are stuffed"

What does stuff mean here??
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:08 am GMT
Stuffed, as in broken beyond repair. Comes from animals being killed, stuffed and mounted.
lu   Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:01 am GMT
"animals being killed, stuffed and mounted"

Does the stuff here means to fill??
If the answer is yes,then I can't see the connection between the two stuff.
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:21 am GMT
Yes stuffing an animal with sawdust etc. But thats not exactly what he means here.
The phrase compaires the clock as being dead and useless like a stuffed animal.
Mxsmanic   Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:03 pm GMT
GMT and UTC are not the same thing.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:29 pm GMT
We go forward an hour onto British Summer Time and immediately the weather gets colder......

Here in the UK the local tme is still called Greenwich Mean Time, the Greenwich meridian being the base line for all word times zones. You can actually stand astride the white line painted on the ground at the Greenwich Observatory in SE London..one foot in the western hemisphere and the other in the eastern. GMT is the same all over the UK but there is talk of the UK remaining on British Summer Time (BST) all the year round, which would mean us being on the same clock time as Western Continental Europe for part of the year. But Scotland would not accept that, because up here it would mean it being dark until nearly 11:00hrs on winter mornings-we would opt out and for part of the year we would be an hour behind England and Wales. I can't image altering my watch back and forth every time I crossed the Anglo-Scottish border! That would be stoopit! And it would cock up all the national TV schedules!
BNP   Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:33 pm GMT
I demand that the clocks here follow the correct British time.
Nonimus   Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:41 pm GMT
BNP go home and look up your family tree. With Britains history I doubt that you could get too far before tracing your blood line back to another country. Even the monarchy aren't completely British, or maybe that's what being british is, a mixture of all different nationalities. :P Pah! British National Party! Oxymoron!
Uriel   Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:49 pm GMT
<<I can't image altering my watch back and forth every time I crossed the Anglo-Scottish border! That would be stoopit! And it would cock up all the national TV schedules!>>

Damian, living in a country with four MAIN times zones (Alaska and Hawaii have their own) which occasionally cut through states (El Paso is in a different time zone than the rest of texas, for instance), I'm not sympathetic....

And it's quite common to hear TV show times being announced as "7 pm Eastern, 4 pm Pacific" -- YOU do the math if you live in Central or Mountain Time!
Uriel   Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:51 pm GMT
And then there's Arizona, which steadfastly refuses to have anything to do with Daylight savings Time at all, so it switches from one time zone to another depending on the season!
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:37 pm GMT
The BNP can go fuck themselves (excuse me) . Nonimus you are completely right, Britain, and especialy England, have always been an immigrant nation.

Uriel, I understand that the US have different time zones accross the different lines of longatude. With Scotland on the other hand, the further north you go, the closer you get to the north pole. And as such the days and nights strech more than with the rest of the UK. With us being such a small nation it would be hard to separate into timezones. It is easyer for the US to separte its self from Alaska etc.

Though I do believe that farmers from the far north of Scotland still have issues with the current set up, it seems to work on the whole.