Is "to disappear someone" now acceptable English?

M56   Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:02 pm GMT
Is "to disappear someone" now acceptable English?
greg   Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:34 pm GMT
Faudrait demander à « l'Académie anglaise »...
Lazar   Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:35 pm GMT
"To disappear" is never used transitively in my dialect, and this is the first that I've ever heard of it being so used. I'd hazard that "to disappear someone" would not sound natural to most speakers of American or British English.
Position   Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:43 pm GMT
Some examples:

"People say this doesn't happen in this country," McGeady said, "but one of my neighbors has been disappeared. It's not what he might have done that matters to me -- they disappeared him. They need to question him and let him go, or charge him. It's like Alice in Wonderland meets Franz Kafka."

http://www.onlisareinsradar.com/archives/001196.php

"But Jackson spread his arms. And he gathered Dick in a bear hug that disappeared him. All they could see was the reddish top of Gephardt's head.

http://wereport.blogspot.com/2004_01_18_wereport_archive.html

Ghandi's career was possible because it was the British Empire and not the Soviets, or Nazi's, that claimed India as the jewel in their "crowns". Surely the Russians or Germans would have assassinated or disappeared him into the Gulag decades before he rose to international prominence.

http://www.haloscan.com/comments.php?user=crooks&comment=7294
Ed   Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:54 pm GMT
"To disappear someone" is quite widely used to refer to forced disappearances of people.

It is an unnatural construction though and only seems to be used for lack of a more natural alternative, or because a natural alternative would be long-winded.
Milky   Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:58 pm GMT
It's used to avoid saying that a person was murdered by a certain government. It's a mock euphemism and ironic.
Ed   Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:20 pm GMT
> It's used to avoid saying that a person was murdered by a certain government. It's a mock euphemism and ironic.

It doesn't only mean murdered, it can mean imprisoned or internally exiled. It simply means the person was taken away in sinister circumstances, and it is not known what happened to him/her. The saying avoids having to explain the possibilities. We assume something unpleasant has happened, but do not know what.
Travis   Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:28 pm GMT
To me, the transitive usage "to disappear someone" does not come off as unnatural, and has a meaning like that which Ed has laid out above.
lu   Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:13 am GMT
Disappear is an intransitive verb.
Is this kind of usage which is against the grammar common in English??
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:50 am GMT
Ive used it in the past. It's quite a nice turn of phrase. It adds a darker, sinister edge.
Travis   Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:52 am GMT
>>I personally would say "to make someone disappear."<<

To me, such does not have quite the particular connotations and like which "to disappear someone" has.

>>Disappear is an intransitive verb.
Is this kind of usage which is against the grammar common in English??<<

In the classical literary language, yes, "to disappear" is only an intransitive verb. Of course, though, much present usage does not necessarily fit the limits of more classical usage.

>>Ive used it in the past. It's quite a nice turn of phrase. It adds a darker, sinister edge.<<

Agreed most definitely.
Kirk   Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:55 am GMT
I've never heard of transitive "disappear" so it sounds odd to my ears. I wouldn't use it but that's interesting some people somewhere do.
Guest   Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:39 am GMT
That's a new one and I like it!
Gest   Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:57 am GMT
It is ungrammatical slang, and jocular (poetic licence), but will no doubt soon become common and considered acceptable, as has, for example a construction often heard in the UK in recent years: "I've been sat here for hours", meaning "I've been sitting here for hours".
j   Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:09 pm GMT
"It is ungrammatical slang"
It's not nowadays if it's considered a normal transitive verb by Webster:
http://www.webster.com/dictionary/disappear